My house shakes due to nearby building works - what are my rights? (UK)?

We had no notice the works were going to be carried out nor do we know how long for. They have pulled a house down right to its roots and they have massive machinery too. I'm the end terrace.

5 Answers

  • In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

    You have the right to shake with your house or you could go out. If there is any damage to your property as a result of the work then you have the right to sue.

  • 5 months ago

    Building works are temporary. The builders have a right to do their work. Unless these works are occuring at unsocial times you have no rights to stop them.

  • 6 months ago

    What are my Rights ?


    Legally the contractor MUST give notice of upcoming building / demolition works - quite often notices are planned on local street lamps or similar, rather than letters through every letter box.

    Contractors ARE allowed to carry out loud works, but only during set (pre-approved hours), generally that is weekday days from about 9am to 5pm - ie when most people are out at work / school etc. If that is the case, then there is NOTHING you can do about loud works. However, that said, if this continues into the evening or over a weekend, then the contractor could well be breaking the rules.

    Re the heavy machinery - well that is necessary equipment and nothing you can do - unless they are blocking the pavement / road with it.

    Perhaps a phone call to your local Council or to the contractor involved will give you more information

    Unfortunately if you are home during the day, then you have very little 'rights'

    The other 'right' you might have is if the contractor somehow damages your house or car - is that the case ?

    Obviously with heavy construction work, there are going to be vibrations. In RARE cases prolonged heavy work in close proximity can cause damage to property.. This includes cracking in walls, damage to home mechanical systems, doors and windows misalignment, damage to concrete and concrete blocks, exterior stucco cracks and other signs of distress - in which case you or the landlord need to contact the council AND contractor immediately

    Source(s): worked in construction industry for 20 years
  • 6 months ago

    Tenant and homeowner rights vary from country to country, and place to place. If you really want to know your rights, ask an attorney.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    UK: Phone your local council planning department who will come check and advise you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.