What are the pros and con of being homeschooled?

Pros: more time

Open schedule

Do things yourself

Finish early

Start late

Focus on the work u wanna do

Cons: being lonely

Isolated

Losing motivation

Expensive

Must have accepting parents

It’s all individual and dependent upon your family’s and communities’ resources. My pro could be your con. Here is what I mean:

One pro would be that you can move ahead or take extra time with a concept or subject area. You have more flexibility. That can be a con if you believe you or your kids are ahead when they are not. The evaluation of mastery is only as good as the evaluator, ( the parent )

Another pro would be that you select your social group. You can refuse to associate with bullies. That can be a con if you limit your social interactions to others like you. When you go out into the work world, everyone will not be a homeschooled Christian who belonged to your co-op. You could be super busy and have a narrow group or super busy and out in a wide group. There’s plenty of homeschooling families who both in homeschooling.

Here’s my best advice: homeschooling is an excellent opportunity if you think critically and realize the world doesn’t revolve around you. You may have lots of opportunities and resources, another person may not. Homeschooled students who are limited to others like them don’t realize schooled kids read, go to camps, volunteer, learn new skills and trades over the summer and after 3pm. When mom sells your superiority your whole life, and limits your social groups, it’s easy to see yourself pridefully. Suddenly at 20 you’re not, and nobody cares if you were homeschooled. If you’re too dependent upon your parents and find it difficult to break away, stretch yourself toward independence.

Make a list of pros and cons and evaluate them for YOURSELF

• Mrcury

The bad thing is isolation

• drip

Homeschooled children are not locked inside of their homes 24/7

I was homeschooled all my life. There are many pros such as being able to decide when I learned what and how I learned it. I learned from interesting books instead of textbooks, I learned from movies and documentaries. I started studying nursing at 13yrs old with old textbooks for fun. I learned through hands-on by working with a neighbor for a few years, I learned how to groom dogs and run a home business. I applied all this to high school work and learned important life skills .

The cons? My mom kept us way too busy. I love her and she's a great mom but I wish I had more free time to sit down and play a video game to relax or just watch a movie. We were always doing something and the only time I had downtime was a shower before bed then it bedtime. We were always busy on weekends too going to different classes, putting on shows with our homeschool drama club or my brothers' sports games. I did softball for awhile too. Don't get me wrong I did get to hang out with friends and go to movies and stuff, but most of the time we were in our van going places and doing things. Once I graduated I took 3 months off just to rest!

• Christopher

Okay, but a similarly motivated regular-school student could accomplish all you suggested in your first paragraph, as well as most of activities in the second. .

Depends on who talk to.

First not being around other children is a myth. Homeschoolers are out in the real world with people of all ages. They are around other children and adults. How & where? Homeschool co-ops, lessons (sports, drama, dance & so on), church, the park and other public places.

The cons depends on the family. Every family homeschools in their way and homeschooling is not for everyone. It takes a lot of self discipline to homeschool your kids and to be a homeschooler. The first year of homeschooling is known to be the hardest.

Some say money or cost of homeschooling is a con. This can be true but if you know how to budget and do a lot of work you can homeschool for less than $100 a student. There are many free sites for homeschooling. You can use the local library and the internet. You can borrow curriculum from family members or friends.

Some say stress is a con and I will have to say that is one of the most true cons of all. A homeschooling parent of doubts themself, stresses and worries. I have homeschooled for almost 18yrs and cried myself to sleep many nights. It is a lot of pressure to hold your child's education in your hands.

Not mixing with other children. Which may be a pro or a con depending on the situation.

• defend liberty

"Legally homeschooled students are 40% less likely to die by child abuse or neglect than the average student nationally."
      Check here
      https://www.nheri.org/child-abuse-of-public-school-private-school-and-homeschool-students-evidence-philosophy-and-reason/