Eric asked in SportsFootball (American) · 5 months ago

Can I join another team in highschool if my school doesn't offer a certain sport.?

I've always wanted to play football but my parents force me to attend a small christian private school that does not have many sports to offer. I was wondering if I could play football for nearby schools.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Yes, though you might have to check on the laws of your state.

I work in a small Christian private school. One of my students was on the football team of a nearby public school.

• Cu Tie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes, my sister is an example of this. She attended a private, all-girls high school in Pennsylvania. During her senior year of high school, she made it on the junior varsity football team of the local public high school in South Jersey. However, due to her hectic schedule (that year, she took 3 AP courses and worked on the weekends) and the long distance between the private, all-girls high school she attended and the local high school she played football for, she was exempt from attending the practices. (In lieu of practices, she would change out of her school shoes and into her size 8 pink Adidas Falcon W cleats once her school day finished, and worked out at the gym of her private, all-girls high school.) On game nights (Tuesdays), she would change out of her entire school uniform and into her football uniform immediately after the school day was over, and I would drive her to the local public high school, where she played her games.

• 5 months ago

Maybe. It varies from state to state. Check with the school.

• 5 months ago

That's a question for the public school district where you live and the state's high school actives and athletics organization. In most states ANY student who lives in the feeder district of a public school has the right to participate in extracurricular actives (sports, drama, clubs) if the school they attend does not offer that program. This includes students at other public schools in the district/feeder area, private schools (Christian or otherwise), and even homeschooled students.

Look on the website for your school district or the high school in your area or ask your parents to contact the school, school district, or the team's coach. Your biggest issue may be getting to the practices and to the games. In high school it is fairly common for students in varsity sports to have to leave school early to go to away games. You'd need transportation and the permission/support of your school in order to do that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

If the state association allows it, most do, and the school with the program permits it.

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Typically not, but your state HS association rules would apply.

• 5 months ago

Usually you can't unless there's like a league that your town or community offers

• 5 months ago

No you cannot usually

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.