Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 years ago

Is it hypocrite for me to be an atheist yet be fascinated by the myths of the Jude-Christian religion?

I see them as reading historical fantasy novels. The concept of the archangels and Lucifer's rebellion against his father-creator, God, fills me with so intrigue.

I am also compelled, to the point of crying, of the crucifixion of Jesus; who died for the sins of mankind, and told God to forgive his enemies. Very rarely I feel strong emotions for fictional characters in the novels I read. I tell myself that is not real, or at least exaggerated, though.

Favorite Answer

I hope it's not hypocritical because I'm also an atheist who finds the religious myths fascinating reading. And clearly there are lots of people who enjoy the fantasies of the scriptures as well. How do I know this?

We see big box office movies about the myths and miracles of the religions about every year. And TV is filled with series about the more bizarre religious myths. They sell ads for the TV producers.

Here's a partial list of religious movies:

Year released Title

1916 Civilization

1923 The Ten Commandments

1925 Ben-Hur

1928 Noah's Ark

1928 Joan of Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc)

1932 The Sign of the Cross

1940 Santa Fe Trail

1941 Sergeant York

1943 Heaven Can Wait

1943 The Song of Bernadette

1944 Going My Way

1945 The Bells of St. Mary's

1947 Black Narcissus

1949 Come to the Stable

1948 Joan of Arc

1950 The Next Voice You Hear...

1951 The Diary of a Country Priest

1951 Quo Vadis

1953 I Confess

1953 The Robe

1953 Martin Luther

1955 Ordet

1956 The Burmese Harp

1956 Friendly Persuasion

1956 The Ten Commandments

1957 The Seventh Seal

1959 The Nun's Story

1959 Ben-Hur

1960 Elmer Gantry

1960 Spartacus

1960 The Story of Ruth

1961 Barabbas

1961 The Hoodlum Priest

1961 King of Kings

1963 The Cardinal

1963 Jacob and Esau

1963 Lilies of the Field

1963 Winter Light

1964 Becket

1964 The Gospel According to St. Matthew

1965 The Greatest Story Ever Told

1966 Andrei Rublev

1966 The Bible: In the Beginning...

1966 A Man for All Seasons

1971 The Night God Screamed

1972 Marjoe

1972 Siddhartha

1973 The Exorcist

1973 Jesus Christ Superstar

1974 The Story of Jacob and Joseph

1975 The Hiding Place

1976 The Message

1977 Jesus of Nazareth

1979 Jesus

1979 Joni

1979 Monty Python's Life of Brian

1986 The Mission

1988 Lorenzo Ruiz... The Saint... A Filipino!

1988 The Last Temptation of Christ

1988 The Seventh Sign

1989 Jesus of Montreal

1990 China Cry

1991 The Black Robe

1992 Leap of Faith

1994 Jacob

1994 Priest

1995 Dead Man Walking

1996 Kristo

1997 The Apostle

1997 Solomon

1998 Noah

1998 The Prince of Egypt

1999 End of Days

1999 Joan of Arc (The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc)

1999 The Omega Code

1999 Joan of Arc

2000 Islam: Empire of Faith

2000 Left Behind: The Movie

2001 Escape from Hell

2001 Megiddo: The Omega Code 2

2002 Left Behind 2018 Paul, Apostle of Christ2018 I Can Only ImagineII: Tribulation Force

2002 The Magdalene Sisters

2002 Time Changer

2003 Bruce Almighty

2003 Conspiracy of Silence

2003 Flywheel

2003 Luther

2004 The Passion of the Christ

2005 Constantine

2005 Left Behind: World at War

2005 Our Fathers

2005 The Gospel

2006 Deliver Us from Evil

2006 Facing the Giants

2006 Faith Like Potatoes

2006 One Night with the King

2006 The Second Chance

2006 Unidentified

2007 Evan Almighty

2007 Gabriel

2007 Ghost Rider

2007 Noelle

2007 Saint Mary

2007 The Ten Commandments

2008 Doubt

2008 Fireproof

2008 Sunday School Musical

2009 The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry

2010 Like Dandelion Dust

2010 Preacher's Kid

2010 The Book of Eli

2010 The Kingdom of Solomon

2011 Courageous

2011 Young Abraham

2013 Avalokitesvara

2013 Home Run

2013 Horns

2013 Pedro Calungsod: Batang Martir

2014 A Promise

2014 Noah

2015 Old Fashioned

2016 Silence

2016 Joseph & Mary

2018 Divine Beauty

2018 Come Sunday

2018 Mary Magdalene

2018 Paul Apostle of Christ

[Wiki]

• Paul

I am Christian, and am fascinated by the religious beliefs of ancient Egyptians. I recognize such beliefs as totally untrue of course, but they are still interesting to study.

No. A hypocrite is someone who claims to be a righteous person but does not follow the teachings.

No, that ain't hypocrite. You're confused, but confused ain't hypocritical. It's just confused. And you're not nearly as dumb as half the people who tried to answer your question.

You read through the major stories of the bible, but you have questions about the details. Unless you're a mindless religious fanatic, which you're not, that makes you human. Those stories are incredibly vague when it comes to specific details, and I'm guessing (just guessing) they did it that way for a reason.

Of course not. Everyone should take an interest in the old myths and stories that make up our human pre-history. The more you read, the more you see the parallels in different cultures around the world: the flood, the disappearance and reappearance of the sun, the sacrifices to make this happen - all these can be found in dozens of countries.

Being a hypocrite is play-acting, wearing a mask. You seem genuine. I know it seems like fantasy to you, but I pray you encounter Jesus for real, and experience that amazing grace that makes you cry even though you think he’s fictional. I promise you’ll be crying more, & laughing with joy at the same time! You might not be able to see it right now, but God really did send his Son to redeem you. You’re a priceless unique expression of His image, created to be His beloved son or daughter with destiny. Jesus really is alive, in the heavenly realm, but near to you, and has nail scars in his hands and feet. All that he went through was worth it to him that you’d have the chance of responding to his love, being freed from sin and guilt, and being joined as one with Him for eternity. God bless you, pour out His mercy and grace upon you, and draw you to Himself, in Jesus’ name. You are so loved by our Father.

‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled’

Not at all, and by all means study long if it helps .

The deeper you dig the clearer the who when where why and how becomes .

Eventually you will find and old saying true that " Winners write history "

The dead sea scrolls were hidden in caves from Romans who wanted to destroy them

and those winners wrote history while destroying any opposition .

The very idea that the letters of Paul thru the Gospels survived 130 thru 325 is never addressed

but the idea of where those letters and gospels came from is .

The Romans would of had their way with the entire supposed Christian collection like a

priest has his way with a little innocent child

• ?

No. Everyone should read and make up their own minds based on the actual information, not what other people tell them about the information. Some people judge before they have even read. They will not have educated reasons for their own judgments and beliefs. Having educated reasonings is important.

I think that many people who consider themselves to be atheist are actually against false teachings that do not make any sense when really considered. Everyone should be against false teachings and know what is actually written so they can have reasoned conversations, as well as spot someone lying about what is written.

If you haven't had a personal interaction with God, then being truthful about that, is more important than faking a relationship that you do not have. Honesty and considering information with honesty is very important in many areas of life.

Not hypocritical at all. I know more about religions than most of the followers of those religions but I'm still an atheist.

• ?

I don't think it makes you to be a hypocrite. As long as you don't believe in these medieval stories.