How tf is mustard made?

• denise

Does it matter? Just buy some.

Back in the day, my mother mixed some colmans mustard powder with a little vinegar & water, when my dad fancied some with his ham, [not as nice as the American mustard though!].

• IvaB

I've made my own mustard on a couple of occasions,and it really wasn't that difficult at all.I ground the seeds (mostly dark,some light).mixed with vinegar and waited a couple of weeks for the ingredients to "blend",in the fridge.Turned out pretty good too.

• Clive

It isn't so much made as grown. Grow the mustard plant and grind up the seeds. This will give you a yellow powder, mix with water to make a paste and that's English mustard. There is a company called Colman's in the UK that will sell you just the powder in a little tin. I've never liked it - far too hot.

Other varieties such as Dijon mustard or German mustard have other ingredients in them - look at the list of ingredients to see exactly what. They're just mixed with the mustard powder. Much milder because the other ingredients, such as wine vinegar, dilute the taste of the mustard seed. German mustard is much the best to go on a hot dog which, after all, is another German idea.

I've gone totally off the point now but what the hell - the best fast food in the world as far as I'm concerned is to be found in the south of Germany, where you can get Bratwurst in a bread roll with a good dollop of German mustard. I've enjoyed this in the food court at Munich railway station - "Bratwurst im Semmel, bitte" and when you can get that, quite rightly McDonald's is relegated to upstairs. I've also had it as a street snack in Tübingen.

It all starts with a mustard plant, and harvesting the seeds. The seeds can be ground and sold as ground mustard seed, or mixed with other ingredients to make prepared mustard. Vinegar is added, along with horseradish and/or turmeric depending on the intended use. There are endless variations, including mixing with white wine.

• Rei

Mustard seeds are ground up into a paste with vinegar and other optional ingredients (salt, wine, honey....)

• Mark

Mustard seeds, vinegar, and a little salt.

• Mintee

processing mustard seeds, adding things like tumeric, vinegar, salt.w ater..

from my armpit sweat

• Enigma

Mustard what? Gas? The condiment? Yellowish poopy in diapee? Detail! Give details!

Mustard seeds google it on youtube

• Clive

Why wouldn't you use Google to google, dumbass?