Why do my ring and middle finger not touch (both hands)?

My ring and middle finger do not touch. It generally does not impede my life, but it does make certain tasks difficult. For instance: If I cup my hands to catch a liquid (see picture) the two fingers spread apart and the liquid will seep through. If I try to play certain chords on guitar where my middle,... show more My ring and middle finger do not touch. It generally does not impede my life, but it does make certain tasks difficult. For instance:

If I cup my hands to catch a liquid (see picture) the two fingers spread apart and the liquid will seep through.

If I try to play certain chords on guitar where my middle, ring, and pinky are all in the same fret, and my pointer finger is two frets away, it is nearly impossible.

If I make a fist, my ring and middle finger are paired, while my pinky and ring finger are paired, and ther eis a large gap between the two pairs.

Imagine the vulcan hand sign. I've had the issue in both hands for as long as I can remember, but I wish I could identify the cause or even do something to alleviate/fix it.