Did I make a mistake by doing this?

Backstory: I've known this guy for 3 years this week. I've been in love with him and friends with him, for 2 years. We've never been SUPER close, I wouldn't call him a best friend, but we've always had a connection. When we talk, it's never awkward, there's never an awkward silence. We... show more Backstory: I've known this guy for 3 years this week. I've been in love with him and friends with him, for 2 years. We've never been SUPER close, I wouldn't call him a best friend, but we've always had a connection. When we talk, it's never awkward, there's never an awkward silence. We are extremely comfortable with each other. He's happily married and has a family and I've been engaged a little over 4 months. Don't get me wrong, I do love my fiance very much. My fiance has met my friend several times and they get along fine, but my fiance doesn't really care for my friend because he's smart and has my feelings for my friend, figured out (well, he thinks I have a crush on him at least).

Anyways, I hadn't seen my friend in over a month when I saw him on Father's Day yesterday. We go to the same church and as my fiance and I were leaving, I spotted my friend, who appeared to be looking for somebody. We made eye contact and he smiled and put his hand up to say hello and I wished him a Happy Father's Day and we went on our way.

This afternoon, I wrote him saying I'm sorry we didn't get to stop and chat yesterday, but that I hoped he had a good Father's Day and that I hope him and the family are doing well, that we hardly see them anymore. He read it, never replied. Did I make a mistake by reaching out to him? I guess I honestly miss him a lot. He never really talks to me much at church, but when we're alone, we could talk for hours if we had the time and if it wouldn't
Update: upset his wife. By the way, she and I aren't friends, but we're on good terms. She almost always hugs me when she sees me. I'm 28, he's 39.
Update 2: I don't think he's necessarily scared of ruining my relationship. To be honest, I'm not sure he's my fiance's biggest fan either. He's never acknowledged my engagement and whenever I bring my fiance up, he seems to have this tone that expresses not wanting to discuss him. I've seen him... show more I don't think he's necessarily scared of ruining my relationship. To be honest, I'm not sure he's my fiance's biggest fan either. He's never acknowledged my engagement and whenever I bring my fiance up, he seems to have this tone that expresses not wanting to discuss him. I've seen him look at my engagement ring a million times without saying anything. But you're right that he could've just been busy. He was at work when he read my message, but I figured he'd reply after work.
2 answers 2