Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

I live in Pennsylvania. I am a white boy 23. Should I learn German or Spanish?

For decades I maintained that the only Spanish decent people need learn is just enough to give instructions to the hired help. But if you live in, or near, a major city, Spanish is a must, now. They increase like roaches. They are all over the place. I was in Taget last month and couldn't find ONE salesperson fluent in English.

• We may cease to be the majority, but we will continue to be the largest demographic group for a very long time. And we still have the money and power, that ain't going nowhere, boy!

Both languages are rather difficult but Spanish might come easier for you because you can get a lot of exposure in the U.S.

It really depends on what you wish to accomplish and your own taste. Unless you inform us about both aspects I'm afraid we can't give any good answer to you.

• amcg

Both are useful. Why not choose both of them ? I advise you to start with Spanish though.

• dogtags40

John P, there are definitely more Spanish speakers in Pennsylvania than there are people who speak modern German. This is likely true in all 50 states and DC.

• Zirp

Your skincolour is irrelevant. What languages do you know already? What do you want to do with it?

If you don't speak a second language yet, learn Esperanto.

If you want career-options, google "critical languages" and pick one to be your third language

Spanish for sure.

The most useful language is mandarin Chinese. More speak that language than any other. Then consider any of the various languages of India. Then Spanish. German is rarely spoken outside of germany

• dogtags40

The question is not just about numbers of speakers, but rather the USEFULNESS of the language in whatever location and profession OP finds themself in. In the US and the Americas in general, it'd be Spanish. As a purely academic exercise, I'd recommend German.

Whatever you desire. Personally, I'd choose German.

Emoji. British speak English and Germans speak German.

German is sexy, learn German! Everyone takes Spanish so it will be unique.

• bluebellbkk

You don't understand what 'unique' means. I promise you, someone learning to speak German will not be 'unique' thuogh they MIGHT be 'a little unusual'.