Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 months ago

Was it rude or inconsiderate of my neighbor to smoke a cigarette in my yard, knowing that I'm a non-smoker?

My neighbor saw me outside and walked onto my driveway at the very front of my house to talk. He took a cigarette and said that this is his only vice and proceeded to smoke. He never asked me if I minded.

He knows that I don't smoke and that nobody in my household smokes.

Would you have said anything to him about it? Like, "I would appreciate it if you wouldn't smoke in my yard."

• Daisy

Yes, it is rude to smoke on someone else's property without their permission. You are within your rights to say, "Please don't smoke in my yard." You can go over to his yard and he can light up. Just because he's outside, doesn't mean he can smoke wherever he wants.

Not really. I mean it’s outside. If you have a problem like asthma just mention that.

In an outside place its fine. You should learn to be not so sensitive. the smoke will disappear in like 3 seconds. Don't be a baby

• Lita

Yes, it's inconsiderate. I would have asked politely to not to do so in my yard.

i think it was rude but he probably figured he could since he was outside

• Cara

Most smokers assume they can smoke out in the open air without upsetting anybody. You could have just suggested you both move farther away from your house to continue your talk.

• drip

People are outside and are not going to think it would bother anyone if they smoked.

You are better off saying, Tim would you mind not smoking around me? I would appreciate it.

Personally I hate smoking. The smell is horrid. But for a quick chat outside I really don’t see the problem

Your neighbor theoretically needs to be invited to be on your property, so if you do not want this smoking behavior, ensure to have a conversation with them and ask that they respect both the property boundaries and that you do not smoke.

No I would let him smoke it's not like he was inside your house puffing away

• Bill

that is exactly what yopu should say

He has a right to smoke but not on your premises