How long would a cooked and sealed (unopened) Cure 81 Dinner Ham last on the fridge shelf?

I've had mine for about 2-3 weeks now. I've been meaning to cook it up in the crock pot with some beans but I've just been too busy. The use or freeze by date is July 8th, 2019 and the ham has never been opened thus far, it's completely sealed up, and has been refrigerated since I brought it home. I know I should've stuck it in the freezer, lesson learned obviously, but I was just hoping that it's still safe to eat since it isn't past the ham's expiration date yet and it hasn't been opened. Thanks in advance for any answers to my question.

• geezer

It says July 8th .. so, as long as it's been in the fridge, unopened, it's fine.

It’s totally fine, has a use or freeze date of July 8, which is weeks from now.

um, it will last till July.

You did read the label.

Keeping time is not measured in seconds after the given date.USE IT or FREEZE IT.

There is no specified number of days for every possible circumstance of storage. The exact temperature of your fridge. The amount of time it was not refrigerated between place of purchase and home.

Freezing allows longer storage.

There is no 100% Guarantee it will not spoil by use by date.

There is no guaranteed number of days/weeks/months, it will remain edible.

If i say three weeks and you use and get sick what will you then do?

• Cara

The date of July 8 means that you should ideally either eat it or freeze it before that date. You've been keeping it quite properly in a cold place, and you can still freeze it or eat it safely during the next 2 or 3 weeks. That is what the date is there for. If you were to eat it or freeze it after that time the company would not feel responsible if you felt it had gone off.

That ham is perfectly fine. Actually it should easily last longer. The "use or freeze by" date is to prevent lawsuits from people that open and do not use, or try keeping it for a decade (think: apocalypse shelter food supply).

• Elise M8 months agoReport

I hope you re right about that and it s safe to consume. I know canned hams will last ages in bomb shelters and things of that sort but I wasn t so sure about the kind of ham you keep on the refrigerator shelf like that. Thanks for the response SumDude.