Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

Is a telescope tripod the same as for a camera?

There are lots of tripods at the thrifts and the one I have for my telescope is far from micromotion. But I don't know if they are interchangeable?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Only really cheap and terrestrial Telescope tripods. Telescope tripods are different in that the instrument is mounted on a cylinder that can be pointed at the north star/celestial pole and the telescope can move around the cylinder and up and down.on the fitting. The reason for this is so the telescope, once aimed at a star or planet need only be moved in one direction by a motor attached to the cylinder, or by hand more easily around the cylinder to keep the instrument tracking what it is looking at. ---to compensate for the Earth's rotation. A camera would use just a couple of swivel joints 90 degrees apart as it is aimed at a stationary object and locked in.---not effected by the Earth's rotation

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Telescopes, unless they are very small, are too heavy and cumbersome for a simple tripod. A few heavy-duty tripods, such as a surveyor's, can be sufficient.

A good mount for a telescope should be heavy and steady, as the magnification of the image will also magnify the slightest vibration in the mount.

Surveyor's mounts have been successfully adopted for telescopes; camera tripods, not so much - they are generally too flimsy. (The photo is not mine; it is taken from a Cloudy Nights ad).

Attachment image
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A tripod is a tripod.

• 6 months ago

You can always get an Astronomical mount, even a motorised one that moves with the spin of the Earth

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I have used a telescope tripod for a camera. I don't know if it was typical because of the different mounts and I can see that if you want to use an astronomical telescope the chances are a camera mount would be a bad idea because of the rotation of the Earth.

• 6 months ago

They can be, and they can be interchangeable considered a smaller telescope or proper mount for a camera.

• poldi2
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The issue really is strength and stability. A camera is not very massive, so camera tripods aren't particularly robust.

But it would fit.

• 6 months ago

Depends on your scope and how you use it.

For a small scope used for casual observation a sturdy camera tripod is fine. I have a Meade ETX that works very well on a Bogan tripod. Apart from terrestial viewing, It is just used for the occasional glimpse at the moon or planets.

For more serious work, or a very large scope, you need something more substantial.

• Nyx
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not necessarily. Unless the scope is small, a camera tripod simply will not work.

You need a tripod that can not only handle the weight of the equipment, (Telescope, mount, eyepieces) and not wobble, or quiver when touched for more than a second or two.

You want beefy, sturdy, and well made.

Something like this, for lightweight stuff -

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Mounts-Tripods/Alt...

Or this, for the heavier stuff.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Mounts-Tripods/GoT...

Usually, You get a scope, mount, and a tripod together. Don't attempt to piecemeal it together, if you don't know what to get.

• 6 months ago

Depends on size and focal length, magnification, weight of telescope to be supported. The same for a camera. But usually, the one for a camera can be a lot lighter.

Source(s): Building telescopes on motorized stands since 1959. Mechanical engineer for electronics manufacturing and CADD education. Special effects designer for theaters and theme parks.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.