Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

My parents are divorcing & I have a poor/toxic relationship with both of them - which parent should live with/what’re my other options?

I am 17 years old and my family life has been pretty bad since I was a kid — my parents have had a poor relationship for the longest time and the only reason filing for divorce took so long is because of financial and religious reasons. They both have a slew of problems, one is a raging alcoholic who can be very very mean (but has never been violent) and the other is a nosy helicopter parent with trust issues and a terrible victim complex (which she uses to manipulate her children) they also both have their strong points but the playing field is pretty even. I’ll be off to Uni on the other side of the country in a year at which time I will cut all ties with both of them but until then I need a plan. Literally any advice helps!!

Thank you!

It doesn't matter since you'll be leaving in less than a year for university.

• kristy

Whichever one has the most money

• i + i

Well, if it was up to me, I would choose

the helicopter over the souse, since I

think I could better deal with that than

the mean drunk. You say "never been

violent", but that can change sooooo

easily. Best of luck to you!

• Megan

I'd rather be with the helicopter parent than the alcoholic. Just try to keep your distance from both of them, whichever you choose.