Lee asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 6 months ago

Since when did Yahoo change it so the minimum length for an answer is 15 characters?

It seems like they're updating a lot of things that include adding a captcha while posting questions and answers now

Nevermind my question, just read it on a popular question just now.

But when did they come out with CAPTCHA and eliminate spammers?

If that's the case, that's awesome since this site ever since 2013 went downhill with trolls and bots especially on the Yahoo Products category for some reason.

Finally Yahoo is making a change for the better.

I don't know but I hate it

• Ben

Sometime last week, after a glitch for logging in.

Apparently the change to Yahoo Answers was recent. However the fifteen character minimum doesn't present an issue for me, since most questions of interest to me, or where I have some knowledge/experience in the topic, to use less than the required minimum. However sadly trolls has existed on here, since the very early days.

A few days ago.

• Daniel

They just Added it Last week

• .

Captcha began on May 27th to reduce/eliminate spam bots.

Character minimum was reinstated a week or so ago (don't recall the date). Years ago YA had one, then it was removed. The minimum reduces point gaming answers (and makes answers 15 characters that are mostly or solely fillers, violations, such as "Yesssssssssssss"

I have no problem with the 15 character rule, that should have been implemented years ago. But the captcha idea is stupid, because we shouldn't have to keep proving we aren't bots so many times every damn day.

This change was the same day the captcha when crazy and you had a problem signing in to Yahoo. Believe they were both related to the problem.

This whole site has gotten really lame, I don’t know why I still come here. They seem to want to take all the fun and social aspect out of things but no one is ever going to take this place as a serious service for legitimate knowledge. But I do agree with the minimum characters for posting an answer, lots of people just say ‘yes’ or ‘ok’ and take up space for nothing. The captcha thing is stupid.

• Wendigo

Yahoo Answers was never intended to be a social site. Its original intention was to be a place to learn from others, as well as a source of information. That's what it was basically when I started on here.

The changes are recent: just the last week or two, as far as I can tell.

If it cuts back on the 'bots, and the two-point whores, I'm all for it.