Question about my cars headlights?

On my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero the low beams are brighter then the actual brights. I’ve noticed when I turn the lights on the only lights that turn on are the low beam ones. When I turn the brights on the low beams come off and only the daytime running lights are on. Is this car supposed to do that?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I've had several cars and motorcycles where it seemed like the headlights were brighter on normal than on high-beam, but it was mostly an optical illusion because when they were on low you could see them shining off of the road - but if there as nothing directly in front of you the light was just shining off into space.

Once you were moving - it became more apparent that you could see reflections off of road-signs, etc. much further away than if you flipped them back to regular.

• Login to reply the answers
  • arther
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

identify the high beams I think you'll find they aren't working

• 7 months ago

If the low beam bulbs are bright and the high beam bulbs are low, someone installed the wrong wattage bulbs or got the high / low bulbs mixed around during a bulb replacement when you have the separate headlamp fixture Hi / Low bulbs using the same socket style bulbs.

Sylvania 9006XV-2 for low beam side (outer bulbs by the fenders)

Sylvania 9005XV-2 for the high beam side (inner bulbs by the radiator grill)

• 7 months ago

Actually, 'brights' isn't the proper term. The REAL difference between 'low beams' and 'high beams' is the AIM of the lights. Low beans are aimed lower to minimize glare. High beams are aimed higher to illuminate a longer distance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.