Austin asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Why does my dog grab a toy when I go to bed?

Whenever I lay down on my bed to go to sleep, my dog will stand there and wait for me to get comfortable under my blanket and once I’m done moving around, he looks around the room for a toy he’s left laying somewhere (most the time it’s this big red kong ball) and he hops up in bed next to me and starts chewing it, and a couple of times he’s just laid with it. Before I get in my bed he would be just laying down on the floor.

I’m not sure it matters but he is a male husky.

• J C

Dogs have evening comfort routines just like humans do. This is his. He knows it's time for bed and this is his way of going that. Our last dog - a rescue greyhound - would whine for her snack, and then curl up on her bed. Our last GSD would basically do the same thing (our dogs - always big ones - were never allowed on the furniture, just their beds)

• Jojo

Just like humans have, a Lot of dogs have their own little foibles and often a favourite toy is similar to a comfort blanket for them.

Every night before bedtime I tell my young GSD to do his peeing and go out into the garden with him. Even though he has access to outside all evening through the dog door.

But he immediately grabs his large ball and gallops at breakneck speed round and round the garden with it his mouth for about 30-45 seconds before he drops the ball and stops and has a pee or poop. Then he trots back into the house. He does this routine every night without fail. I just stand there and watch.

Why?.....I have no idea.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.
  • DEBS

I don't think it's that hard to figure out. When you go to bed, he sees this as his time to go to bed. He finds comfort in his toy at bedtime. So when he's ready to go to bed he gets his toy. Don't over think these things.