Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Is it rude to ask someone how they afford things?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, its rude.

And depending on who you ask, could land you a punch on the nose !

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes. Money, along with politics and religion, is one of the trifecta of things that shouldn't be discussed in polite company.

• 6 months ago

It seems to be OK in America, but in Britain it would be very rude. In America people always ask weird things, like how much you make, how much you paid for your car, things like that.

• Observer
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It is not "OK in America" , if your had any type of proper upbringing.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I think it's rude. Tacky. A person can have other sources of income, or help with expenses. I know several people who are on family member's cell phone plans, which frees up money for other things.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I don't think so. Some people only think that's rude because they earn money illegally.

• Cousin
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes, it is what Society used to call "Sordid" actually. But that does NOT mean that it does not matter! Far from it. Society is more concerned about how people afford things than anything else. It is just classier to finesse finding out instead of being direct. Nowadays, people are taught in classless things like Group Therapy to be "direct". But being Direct is truly classless. It is actually classier to snoop around and spy on people, rather than showing one's poor taste by asking direct questions about their money.

• Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes, their finances are none of your business.

• 6 months ago

Can depend on the context of the conversation and the relationship/connection between the person asking the question and the recipient of the question. Some people are comfortable discussing finances, both their own and others, some people not so much.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i dont think so, just let thern know you want to know so you can do it too

Lv 6
    6 months ago

Not rude but rather inconvenient. It all depends how that person will take it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

pretty 'tacky' ...................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.