don't mind and never mind?

Can you use "Don't mind" when you want to say "Never mind" to someone?

If not, why? Just an English idiom or custom?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

I've never seen or used 'Don't mind' in the same sense as 'Never mind', but I have seen 'Don't mind [something]' only in American novels of the late 19th century, eg 'Oh, don't mind him, he's only trying to annoy you'.

Clearly in this context it means 'Don't pay any attention to him / Don't listen to him'.

And of course 'Don't mind' may be an abbreviated form of 'I don't mind'. ''Annie, do you want an apple or an orange with your lunch?' - 'Don't mind; give me either'.

• Roger
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You can, but "don't mind" is milder and more polite. "Never mind" is dismissive and ruder.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Don't mind just doesn't sound like a complete sentence. You can say "I don't mind", or "you don't mind" or w/e, but never mind feels like it makes grammatical sense on its own. But then, as with most idioms, it mostly makes sense because you're used to hearing it.

• RP
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Either expression means ignore or overlook. The speaker or writer is the one who decides which is best, usually considering the context.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • mokrie
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Don't mind could be taken to mean that you don't mind it. Never mind means to not pay attention to something.

• 5 months ago

Sometimes they mean the same thing, and sometimes they don't.

• 5 months ago

i would use never rnind

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

"Nevermind" pretty much means "actually, no." While "Don't mind" usually means "I don't mind", which means "sure".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.