Tire size question?

I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to tires and I happened to blow 1 of mine on a pot hole the other day.

Unfortunately, I’m on short term disability and only make about half my normal wage for the next 2 months and I still have to give my son rides to school and sports.

I don’t have the money to replace a tire with a new one right now.

However, I have a friend who has a few used ones laying around that are worn, but in good condition otherwise.

My car uses 215/65/R17

And my friend has 220/65/R17’s

Would I be able to use them?

I am aware that using wrong tire size can have effects on your speedometer.

• g
    Favorite Answer

In a pinch, Maggy, yes, you could use a pair of 225/65/R17 sized tires temporarily. Not ideal but for short tern they would be acceptable. However, please be aware the wider section width tire will degrade the handling, stability and control aspects of your automobile. Plus, the fact that they are used and "worn" does not bode well either.

Trusting a set of worn and incorrectly sized tires for your vehicle is not wise, especially when you have your and your and your son s life at stake.

Don t go cheap, tires are way too important.

• Lv 5

Wider tires More stable. That's why I went to a 180mm in back instead of another 160 when tire wore out. I can go to a `190, even.

• Erik

Absolutely you can. And there will not be any problem. I'm poor, so I always get used tires. I will get a 195 or 205, depending on what they have. My full size spare is a 185. And then I drive them until they wear out. As long as they are close (remember, the first number is measured in millimeters), and the last number is the same, they will fit.

You can temporarily use the 225/65-17 on the rear of the car if it is a front wheel drive. Do not use this tire on the drive wheels. If the car is rear wheel drive you can use it on the front of the car. If the car is all wheel drive you canNOT use this tire even temporarily. Never ever put two different size tires on the drive wheels.

• F

One size shouldn't make any difference unless you have very skinny wheels (6in or less) or lowered suspension and are close to having clearance problems. As already mention, same tyres on each axle is a must for safety.

• Poppy

Those will work for now. At least until you can save up for the exact size. The 220 is just a hair taller than the 215.

Some wrecking yards will sell you the correct size tire already mounted on a wheel cheaper than these will cost to mount.

You could put 2 of your friend's tires on. Same axle please. However, driving at low speeds on dry roads, you will probably never notice if you only replace the one.

• don r

It is a few mm less wide. Take it thank your friend and if your car is front wheel drive put it on the back. If your car is rear wheel drive, put it on the front.

Edit: sorry, I meant to put 225/65/R17’s