Can I just throw out my air conditioner? The only thing connected to the house is a (brass?) pipe leading to my heater, what is that for?

I moved into a house that was bank owned for almost 3 years. That was 3 years ago. So the AC unit has been sitting there for 6 years doing nothing. It looked like it was opened up before I bought the house. I really want the thing gone but I don't know how to uninstall one.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The "brass" pipe is probably the copper lineset that is connected to your condensing unit outside to your evaporator coil inside your furnace plenum.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I would not consider throwing it away. Usually they are AC technicians that will come out to your house and do free estimates. I would try to salvage the central AC unit if I could. It's way smarter. Do you know how many people would kill to have a central AC unit? I hope you know Central AC units are not cheap. If there is a chance that you could fix one for a couple thousand or less I would definitely do that. Central AC units are really good investment and if you bought a house and want to really take care of it which I'm sure you do then having a central AC unit will keep your things inside of the house nice and cool during the Spring and Summer preserving your furniture. A central AC unit will also provide heat for you in the fall and winter months. It seems like a real waste to get rid of something that costs people 12-20 thousand brand new. Im sure you want your spouse and children comfortable with central air. Please don't be foolish. Look into keeping it.

• skahappens6 months agoReport

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0d/e3/5d/0de35d6b613cb1390f2975a76c8982f2.jpg

• In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Lets assume that you now own the property and we are talking about a central air conditioning system in North America. If you have had an HVAC contractor look at the unit and it cannot be made operational, then the first step is to have the contractor safely remove the ozone depleting R-22 refrigerant from the system. Once that is done, turn off the power at the breaker box. This will be a 240 volt breaker with a 30 amp service rating. Remove the power supply cable from the disconnect box at the outside condensing unit. Unscrew the brass refrigerant lines at the unit, then remove the entire air conditioning condenser. You could then haul the whole thing off to a scrap metal dealer or you could separate the metals for a little more money. The housing is steel, the coils are aluminum, the compressor will have copper motor windings and an aluminum piston with the rest being steel, and there may be a few brass fittings too.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

There should be copper lines from the outdoor unit to the hair handler. An HVAC company will charge you to remove the freon . . . . then sell it to others for a fortune.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

depends on who owns the house, i would find out first before you get rid of it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.