Should I join the Army?

A little bit about me, i'm 17 as of now and I turn 18 next year March. I've always had a decent level of fitness and seeing as i'm finished my leaving cert in 2 days i'm going to pursue my fitness a lot tougher (I have a lot of training regimens planned out). If I was to join I have about 9 months... show more A little bit about me, i'm 17 as of now and I turn 18 next year March. I've always had a decent level of fitness and seeing as i'm finished my leaving cert in 2 days i'm going to pursue my fitness a lot tougher (I have a lot of training regimens planned out). If I was to join I have about 9 months of straight training.
I haven't told my parents yet I've had this idea in joining for months, doing tons of research about the Irish defense forces and i'm really certain I want to join once I turn 18. I want the life skills that comes with and just everything about it. Is there anything I should know? How I should tell my parents? Should I even join (not that I have any doubts but I want to know EVERYTHING I can)?
I'm going to College in September, not sure if that's important to know too.
Thanks for any help.
Update: Edot: Irish Army, I live in Ireland