Is racism a racial preference?

Having a debate over a Parkland survivor that was denied acceptance to Harvard for making racial remarks. (N-Word) Someone commented that the Student being a Hispanic minority can sue Harvard because and I quote "Intelligent people would know that an IRS tax exempt institution cannot decide racial preference... show more Having a debate over a Parkland survivor that was denied acceptance to Harvard for making racial remarks. (N-Word)
Someone commented that the Student being a Hispanic minority can sue Harvard because and I quote "Intelligent people would know that an IRS tax exempt institution cannot decide racial preference of attendees..... wait for the Student's $350 million dollar law suit"

I tried to argue that racial preference means that the tax exempt institution/college may not take the race of applicants into account in order to achieve a particular racial mix of students.

The person still argues that it also means Students can't be discriminated against for having a racial preference.

Although in my opinion I think there is a big diffrence between being racist and having a racial preference such as what you're attracted to.

So for the sake of argument. Is having a racial preference being racist?