Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

Working with broken wrist?

So I work in a kids club in a hotel supervising children

I fractured my wrist 6 months ago had surgery etc etc but The hotel wouldn’t allow me to work while in a cast.

I desperately need the money as I’m 6 months out of wages and the doctor said there’s no problem me returning to work as I’m not required to lift anything

I’m also with at least 2 other staff members at all times so there’s no risk or need for me to lift anything if it came to the bit.

The doctor cleared me to work, manager doesn’t see a problem but HR won’t allow it.

Are they allowed to do this?

I’m from Ireland if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance

Nope. They're within their Rights. 6 months is a very long time. Has your doctor put you on disability? No. Take the casts off & go back to work. You're a fake & your boss knows it.

I wish I never had to use my brain but I have to

6 months for a broken wrist? Your HR department is clearly idiotic.

They are allowed to do that.

I you had surgery and 6 months in a cast, it was FAR WORSE than a fractured wrist.

Your doctor can ONLY say when he/she believes you are able to work without danger to YOUR health.

I am fairly sure the hotel's insurance provider won't cover having a cast around children.

If you have ANY legal claim, it would be for disability.

• Tavy

The problem is with the insurance. You only have one fully operating hand and arm. You are working with children, you could accidentily injure a child with a cast, you could fall over and break it again.

Sorry but you are not fully fit.

UK

Ask HR to specify Ireland's employment law section under which they find they cannot clear you to return to work, and what it will take in addition to your doctor's clearance to return to work. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, you need to talk to your country's employment regulatory authority (e.g. akin to each state's Dept of Labor in US).

• Tavy

The problem will be with the insurance. He is working with young children, he is not fully fit.

When your doctor starts paying your wages, they can make this decision, but until then it is the prerogative of the employer. Find a new job during this time off.