Anonymous

How to hire a drug free, honest, reliable 18-40 year old worker for my carpet cleaning comany?

I've been doing this since July 1982, right out of high school. I know pretty much everything about domestic textile cleaning, smoke and flood clean up, deodorization, etc. They can remove a dead, rotten corpse from a home today and within 24-48 hours, no trace of odor, repainted, shiny clean and someone else moves in. Sometimes itsc just a whole lot of dog pee. I clean it all.

In 2008, I started my own company. I could pay $10 per hour to start and get lots of good people. Adjusted for inflation, that's $12.13 per hour. I start at $12.75. Yi get tips and you move up fast. Today all I get are dopers and thieves. The last two years have been very hard. No one makes it 30 days. One started smoking in a flood damaged home. Fired. Another saw an LP record that caught his eyes. I told him not to touch it. When I got out to the van, I realised he stole it. I had to bring it back in. I had one show up 4 hours late their 2nd day wasted. He passed the drug test, he had a script for suboxone. He got his monthly dose that AM and immediately got wasted. Didn't think it was my business he was going to be late....

A parade of losers. I can't pay much more, you have to earn it. What can I do?

Favorite Answer

The problem you are having is that the unemployment rate is down to under 4% and that means that almost everyone of the 'good' people are not only taken...but are employed by companies that start them at $15.00 or more. In 2008 the unemployment rate was almost 6% and both state and Federal minimum wages were close to $7.25 an hour...so you were paying almost $3.00 an hour MORE than minimum wage...that was competitive...and people were very anxious about getting and keeping jobs.

Now...there is a push to raise the Federal Minimum wage to $15.00 per hour and many states have already done this. Many COMPANIES have already done that to both retain workers and attract NEW workers. People who are drug free, reliable AND honest know that they can ask for a higher wage because they KNOW they will easily pass any drug test and that any one calling their previous employers will get a glowing recommendation of their work ethic.

When people KNOW what they are worth, it is hard to get them to accept a lower wage and work up unless there is tremendous pressure to do so.

Therefore, you are not even getting the good people to look at your ad. And if they do, when you tell them they will only be starting at $12.75...they know they can go to most retail chains (Costco, Etc) and get paid more.

They ALSO know that they can go to most state and government jobs and get paid more, with benefits and job security ( Go on line and see what the starting wage for trash collection and recycling center are in your area).

So, you are at an impasse....you can't afford to pay more but you need a person to work or your business could suffer.

My only suggestion is to offer people a clear route to more money. tell them they start at $12.75 and after 90 days.. with no complaints they move up to $13.00. then after that tell them they get a 25 cent per hour increase for every 90 days with no complaints ...they show up on time and can pass a drug test every 90 days.

Other than that, perhaps offer to sponsor someone from another country. Check with your church. If you bring someone in and you employ them for a couple of years they can try to get their permanent status, but they have to prove employment...and as long as they work for you, they are employed. And if working for you means staying here ....then they will be punctual and not do drugs.

Good Luck.

• hamel5

If there's a church nearby that has a Brazilian or Guatemalan congregation, go talk to the pastor and tell him or her what you need. Most of these guys know how to work and take it seriously.

Because you can only offer a low wage ($12.75 an hour IS an incredibly poor amount of money....it is bottom of the barrel money. It is 'not take you seriously' money and it is totally 'disrespect your boss' money.

Where I live the night crew at the burger joints get paid a dollar more than you are offering and those guys are ALWAYS totally high on something ( and it is not 'life')...and they keep their jobs.

the only way you are going to be able to get and keep a person at that miserable wage you are offering is to approach the courts and tell them what you need and agree to hire parolees.

They will HAVE to come to work and they will HAVE to be drug free or they will be put back in jail. Tell them you are looking to give a job opportunity to a person who is a non violent offender and who will not be using drugs.

Sometimes they even subsidize employers who hire parolees.

• NONAME

drug testing employees for carpet cleaning...that really limiting your worker pool...you get college kids who smoke weed all day...those will be your top employees...dont drug test and put up signs around colleges

• John

A colleague of mine hired a young Korean woman of about 20-21 a few years ago. College graduate, smart, beautiful, clean, nice. My friend let her go after about a month because she didn't get that she was supposed to work, not keep up with her social media. Didn't get as in, she didn't know what a job WAS. Just zero work ethic. Much of the problem is low unemployment and the minimum wage thing, sure. Your lament is common for some years now, though. Many employers are having trouble filling positions at any price. The world just isn't what it once was, in many ways.

• Never

You are going to have to pay more...a % probably for a good worker. Or stay small and do it all yourself.

Honestly, you aren't really paying enough for the honest good worker.

All of those honest, hard working kids who used to work local jobs are now going to college and thinking they will be a business executive somewhere...so they wouldn't take a job like this.

Immigrant communities tend to be more hard working IMHO, try them.

Raise your fees, offer more money/better benefits and attract a higher quality of worker.

It's a hot economy which has it's drawbacks especially for small businesses. Be glad you aren't where I am where minimum wage is $15/hour and workers poo-poo that because it's "minimum" wage.

Ahh...I miss 2008 when I could hire someone with a college degree for $10/hour to answer phones and clean bathrooms.

Refusing to hire someone over 40....hmmm. Hope you've got your lawyer on speed dial.