So my landlord sent cleaners in and they decided to throw a lot of my stuff out...?

This is a bit of a follow up to my previous question: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

Basically, my landlord did end up sending cleaners in. I only found out when I got home from camping. Their "cleaning" consisted of rearranging mine and my housemate's stuff and even throwing some of my stuff out. This includes a plant, storage boxes, 2 limited edition posters and boxes and bags I was keeping for when I move next month. They for some reason opened my wardrobe door while they were over to have a gander at my private property. They also left my room door and the back door open so anyone could have walked in and stolen my pc or TV. They also expect us to pay for the "cleaning". As you can expect, I'm livid.

We have before and after pictures of the house after we cleaned it vs when they'd been in including pictures of my personal property in the bin.

What I'd like to know is what can I do? It's student housing so we're already heading to the housing office tomorrow but I want to see about reporting them higher up, somewhere that'll do some damage because I'm so sick of this company. They've been nothing but awful since we moved in and for some reason, the university actually sponsors them!

Also, in the UK btw.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Take them to court with your evidence and let the court decide. Obviously the landlord overstepped their bounds by interfering with personal property and privacy.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

Report the theft - every item to the police immediately and sue the heck out of them.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 7 months ago

report them and make a complaint and present paper trail supporting complaint with the BBB

• NONAME
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

contact your local news outlet...this is news worthy and i guarantee they will cover it..mention to them that its 45 houses...so they will contact the other houese and i bet they are angry too

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Luckily you retrieved your stuff.

Did you suffer any monetary loss?

Did they damage the poster(s) for instance?

If they did, then you send them a written demand for compensation, otherwise let it lie.

Make a formal written complaint to the University regarding the Landlord if the LL tries to charge you for the cleaners

• 7 months ago

the link is CLEARLY a legit link to the other question and not spam/ a scam--except to people that are not knowledgeable....there was no need for you to undo anonymous.

everyone else could look at the previous post...so i don't know who the WE aren't that can't....

choose your battles...if the items were valuable enough sue for the value....if not just move on and get the he!! out of there as soon as you can. refuse to pay for the cleaning...and let the LL take you to court...

• 7 months ago

You need to find the actual owner and report this to him. Sue him in court if you are really angry - it will get his attention. If th owner refuses to do anything then you are out of options but at least maybe you should be there next time the cleaners show up.

• Megan7 months agoReport

I was away camping. I told the landlord this and he didn't care. It was all booked well in advance and I would have been out over £100.

• 7 months ago

Confused about the cleaners, did you request them? I don't click on links here...but you could stop posting anonymously so we could actually look at your prior post...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.