Atheist skeptics: do you think you still would have ended up an atheist skeptic if religion had NEVER been forced on you?

Say.. if Abrahamic religion did not exist. And you'd been born into a world where everyone was really spiritually open and accepting. Kind of like most current-day Pagans, Buddhists, New Agers, etc, are. And basically their whole deal was: "there are many different ways of doing this, and trying to connect... show more Say.. if Abrahamic religion did not exist. And you'd been born into a world where everyone was really spiritually open and accepting. Kind of like most current-day Pagans, Buddhists, New Agers, etc, are. And basically their whole deal was: "there are many different ways of doing this, and trying to connect with the Beyond. You've just got to find what works for you.. Feel free to try out a bunch of different things, to see what that is! Or.. none. If you're not interested. Whatever. It's all up to you."

If you'd grown up in that kind of society, do you STILL think you would have ended up a hardline skeptic in the end? Why, or why not? I guess basically what I'm asking is: do you think you've rejected spirituality because your brain is just so damn exclusively rational and objective, it just plain doesn't jibe with it? Or do you think you've rejected it because you f*cking hate dogmatic mainstream religion, in the guise of Christianity or Islam, and all it stands for? So you've decided: "screw ALL of this, then!!"

Speaking as someone who used to think it was the former, but it ultimately turned out to be a strong case of the latter... And, I'm not saying that's everyone else's story! Perhaps it's not your story at ALL. But.. I still wonder how common or uncommon it is. And if anyone on here has experienced something similar.