Hello english teachers, which sentence is correct?

I couldn't care less

I could care less

• Bill B
    Best Answer

The proper form is "I couldn't care less."

It means I have zero interest in that "thing" whatever that thing is.

If you said "I could care less" you are saying that care some.

• John P

In Britain people say "I couldn't care less". In the USA many people say "I could care less". Possibly the USA form comes from Jewish influence.

I am not an English teacher, but the idea here is simply one of hyperbole. I could not care less means "I have absolutely no care about that thing at all". Well, that is usually not exactly true. They usually could care less but the idea is simply one of declaring that the thing is a triviality.

Over time, and in certain populations, that declaration has evolved into "I could care less". In this use, the idea is simply, "sure, I could care less, but I don't". It is again a form of hyperbole.

Either use now means "that is an unimportant thing, a really unimportant thing, from my view".

Literally, I prefer "I could not care less". But as a practical matter, I could care less. Not sure how, but I imagine it is possible.

• Joe

I'm pretty sure English teachers are way too busy to be killing time on this site. It's only for yahoos like us.

This is one of the big divides between British and American English.

British speakers say 'I couldn't care less' and most Americans say 'I could care less' BUT they all mean the same thing!

If you look at the sentence logically, it's clear that the one with 'not' is correct. It means: I care so little about this, that it would be impossible for me to care any less. I care ZERO: I could not care less.

Whether the expression was originally mis-heard I can't say, but 'I could care less' has become the Amrican standard. But Americans who use it always MEAN they could NOT care less.

Note: the real horror is 'I could careless'. 'Careless' is an adjective and is totally wrong in this context.

• bluebellbkk

Bill and RE, I'll have to accept your correction if you'll accept my rephrasing.

• I couldn't care less !

This means that someone cares so little that it wouldn't be possible to care. This should be used when you are sick and you complain to doctor.

• Mike

I think it was an expression used by Jewish immigrants in the early 20th century. It was commonplace enough that Benny Goodman had a hit song entitled I Should Care which played with the idiomatic negative and literal positive meanings of the sentence. It ended with the line: I should care and I do.

• Lôn

I couldn't care less !

This means that someone cares so little that it wouldn't be possible to care any less!

I could care less...makes no sense!

Both are correct, but you probably mean you couldn't care less because you already don't care at all (so there is no caring less than none). If you say you could care less, it would mean that you would still care some.

• bluebellbkk

Yes, but nobody actually MEANS that they could care less. Regardless of what they say, they MEAN they could not care less.

Depends on the region in which you leave.

In some parts of the country they use "could" and in other "couldn't".

• bluebellbkk

As a matter of interest, which country are you talking about?

I couldn't care less is right. If you say you could care less, it means you care at least a little bit.