How do I bring up ideas to my director without seeming rude?

I’m acting as Miss Dinsmore in Singin’ In The Rain. I thought it would be funny to add a flask to the scene (so I have a prop to interact with, and to make the crowd laugh). I want to bring this idea up with my director and see if she thinks it’s a good idea to add in. And yes, I can provide my own flask. However, I don’t know how to bring this up with her without seeming disrespectful or like I’m trying to be in control. How do I suggest the idea without seeming rude??

• Cogito
    Favorite Answer

You could just speak to the director casually and make your suggestion.

But don't push it.

If she felt that this would in any way distract the audience from the main characters, or wouldn't fit in with the action, she's going to say no.

If she does say no, just shrug and tell her it was just an idea and it doesn't matter.

• Tina

Just ask him. He may like the idea and OK it, he may station someone at the side of the stage to make sure you don't sneak the flask on - you won't know until you try.

To make the crowd really laugh drag the director onto the stage and start beating her over the head with the flask. Hope this helped.

I know you want to make a splash, but your job as a supporting actor is support the play and its intention

• kate6 months agoReport

The scene is supposed to be funny. So I’d say I am supporting the intention. It’s a small scene and it’s an opportunity to make the show funnier. I don’t see the harm in a small funny prop. I just wanted to know how to bring it up with my director. I think she’ll like the input if anything

Your job is not to "make the crowd laugh", it's to perform according to the director's vision.

• kate6 months agoReport

Not necessarily true... lol It’s supposed to be a funny scene. And I just have an idea I wanted to add in to make it possibly funnier, IF the director wanted