is the internet less free now than it used to be?

i recall using the internet in the years 2006- 2009 and internet back then felt pretty limitless, open, free and unrestricted....where you could download any film or music freely, find all sorts of wonderful and weird things on the internet...the wild west days.....now the internet feels tightly regulated and restricted, controlled by big tech giants and corporations....no longer free and unrestricted....no more free stuff, movies or music.

whats your opinions?

whoever cowardly anonymous user is moving my question, stop it, because when i find out, i will just move it back!

Favorite Answer

I get where you are coming from, and I liked those days, especially since the crowd that had access to it was more limited and had more of a desire to help each other. That said the amount of legal "free" content on places like you-tube or other free streaming services feels infinite compared to the old days.

You can still download whatever you want if you know where to go, even instantly stream pirated content straight to your TV. The stuff is out there if you want it. That said if you are not hiding from some law firm fishing for pirates to sue, you can get snared by hackers, so you do really have to be careful what you download and how you do it.

• thanks for your thoughts and opinion - i never used to download illegally or free stuff, i just knew that you could back then.

Internet providers like jio are providing free internet these days and due to this Internet has grown alot due to this, people have started using alot, it has increased from before, yes the downloading part has become more complicated. For reading more about the advantages and disadvantages we can refer to the following- https://mediaindia.eu/business-politics/internet-w...

• Lv 7

it is just as restricted now as then. or don't you remember Napster being shut down?

also, it was illegal then, and is just as illegal now, to download copyrighted material.

also, it is just as capable to download now as it was then, just using different means...

• John

I found that the less I conform with the rules, the more the net is like it was.

I agree with you. The internet didn't use to be controlled that much back in the past