How to remove poop smell from room?

I'm temporarily living with a friend and the bedroom I'm staying in has a terrible odor. Apparently the people who lived there prior let their animals poop all over the house. The smell literally keeps me awake at night. I have tried the scented baking powder/vacuum product which help for a few days. I have sprayed the carpet with Lysol. I have a plug-in air freshener that doesn't seem to help at all. I'm afraid to try vinegar or peroxide because I don't want to discolor the carpet. There aren't any stains so I can't even pinpoint where the odor is coming from. My guess is it's somewhere in the padding. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Pay for a professional cleaner to come and do the carpets.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

call a carpet cleaning company

• 5 months ago

I use a paper bag, toss it out in the street

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Use bleach. It removes the smell

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

rent a carpet sampooer

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

You can try calling a professional carpet cleaner, but there is no guarantee that it will work. The only way to get rid of the odor is remove the carpet and pad and possibly the subflooring underneath the pad. Just move out as soon as you can.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You either have to live with it or landlord needs to fix the problem by replacing the carpet, padding and most likely cleaning the floor its self.

• 5 months ago

rent a carpet shampooer.

• Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Good luck with that comment, you cannot shampoo the pad.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Try Febreeze. NEVER use powder-type "carpet cleaners" as they are rather abrasive and cut the carpet fibres. You could also try using a LIGHT solution of liquid enzyme laundry detergent.

• 5 months ago

Heard that some more expensive air fresheners don't mask the odour but kind of erase it. Air the room out and try to find if there are any poop pieces left under the furniture or something. There must be the source of the odour I guess

• loulou1995 months agoReport

When they moved in the room was empty. All that's in it now is a bed and a dresser.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.