What is the cost of a 2008 Cadillac CTS Engine knock repair?

I am trying to purchase a 2008 Cadillac CTS, when inspecting the vehicle, it has a loud knocking noise, after running for a bit the noise will quiet down, then get loud again, the volume is not consistent. The seller claims a mechanic inspected it and believes it is a collapsed hydraulic lifter that needs to be extracted and replaced. I believe the sound may be a knocked rod and the seller went down to $2800. If I were to get this, what would the cost of the repair be for a lifter repair or a knocked rod? Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Ian K
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Motor replacement at an independent mechanic will run about $7,000.

Offer $300 max.

• arther
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

allow to rebuild the complete motor as a buyer, theres no way to know until its pulled apart.why bother buying a dunger buy a vehicle that doesn't need anything done to it if the car has had the gutts driven out of it more things will break.

• arther
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

collapsed lifter sounds like an oil leaking LS what a great idea take the heads off to change the lifters

• 6 months ago

Installing a rebuilt short block is the only safe way to go. Minimum expense of $4,000.

• 6 months ago

Price a new motor. It's going to need one.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

A collapsed lifter and a rod knock are two different sounds. Stay away from the car!

• don r
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It has an overhead cam without lifters.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

'usually' just a sensor replacement ...................

• 6 months ago

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.