Is it necessary to flush the cooling system when just replacing the radiator?

• Jason

Why do it half assed if you're going that far with it?

• don r

That would be a very good time to flush any crud out the engine block since it mostly drains after the radiator is off.

Not if the coolant still looked clean. If the coolant was rusty looking I'd install a flushing "T" before taking the old radiator out and run water through the cooling system until it came out clear through the radiator neck.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

If I'm hearing you right, it sounds like a shop replaced your radiator, and then charged you for a coolant flush (or is quoting you to do it).

If that's the case, it's a good idea - that way if the new radiator fails, they can't come back and claim it's because you didn't have the system flushed.

If it were mine, and I was doing it myself, I would most likely go ahead and do it (and probably replace the thermostat while I was at it) so I have a completely clean system with all new coolant.

If the radiator is disconnected, why wouldn't you flush the system?

• Lv 5

If you had to remove it to , say, fix air conditioning and did not replace radiator; no need to flush.

Not "necessary", but, if you replaced radiator, it could have been partially due to crud build up. Why clog your new one, too? Only takes a half hour. Can do yourself with garden hose and removing upper rad hose to thermostat.

Yes. You will already lose over half of the coolant when you lift the radiator.

• Lv 5

losing coolant does not require "flushing" just replacing.
      many can catch 99% of the coolant in a wide tub.

best, there could be 'crud' in the new rad that should be flushed-out.

• Erik

If it's brand new, how did it get there?