Is it necessary to flush the cooling system when just replacing the radiator?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Why do it half assed if you're going that far with it?

• don r
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

That would be a very good time to flush any crud out the engine block since it mostly drains after the radiator is off.

• 6 months ago

Not if the coolant still looked clean. If the coolant was rusty looking I'd install a flushing "T" before taking the old radiator out and run water through the cooling system until it came out clear through the radiator neck.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 6 months ago

If I'm hearing you right, it sounds like a shop replaced your radiator, and then charged you for a coolant flush (or is quoting you to do it).

If that's the case, it's a good idea - that way if the new radiator fails, they can't come back and claim it's because you didn't have the system flushed.

If it were mine, and I was doing it myself, I would most likely go ahead and do it (and probably replace the thermostat while I was at it) so I have a completely clean system with all new coolant.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

If the radiator is disconnected, why wouldn't you flush the system?

• Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

If you had to remove it to , say, fix air conditioning and did not replace radiator; no need to flush.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Not "necessary", but, if you replaced radiator, it could have been partially due to crud build up. Why clog your new one, too? Only takes a half hour. Can do yourself with garden hose and removing upper rad hose to thermostat.

• 6 months ago

Yes. You will already lose over half of the coolant when you lift the radiator.

• Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

losing coolant does not require "flushing" just replacing.
      many can catch 99% of the coolant in a wide tub.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

best, there could be 'crud' in the new rad that should be flushed-out.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

If it's brand new, how did it get there?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.