Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Mechanic says blown head gasket isn’t fixable.. Do I have to junk the car now?

I had an overheating issue with my car. No external leaks but it was apparent that some combustion gases would get into the cooling system and overheat after a 30 min drive.

Took it to the shop and the mechanic says that the head gasket has blown, motors are bad and that it isn’t fixable. I already spent a good deal of money on the car but is it really not fixable? Do I really have to junk it? Can I replace the head gasket or use a head gasket leak stop?? Anything?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Everything can be fixed easily

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

You don't tell us anything useful about your car so it's difficult to judge. Undoubtedly it CAN be fixed (as can anything given enough time, effort and money) but I suspect the mechanic actually told you it wasn't worth pouring more money into a heap of junk. If it puts your suspicious mind at ease you can always get a second opinion.

• 6 months ago

Head Gaskets can be replaced, warped and cracked Heads can sometime be repaired but they can be replaced, Cracked Blocks can sometime be repaired and engines can all be replaced.. Find a new mechanic. Maybe he was trying to tell you your car isnt worth what it would cost to fix it.

• 6 months ago

find a new mechanic

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

If you warped the head or block he is wright. But if it is just the head gasket that is fixable in most cases. I would try another garage.

• ...Show all comments
    • M.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It's very rarely JUST the head gasket.
      It's often a WARPED aluminum head.
      And of course you can't reuse the old head gasket.

• 6 months ago

How about telling us the year, make, model, motor size and mileage on the vehicle?! When a head gasket fails usually replacing the head gasket and resurfacing the cylinder head is all you need to do. If your motor size has a common problem with the cylinder heads cracking a new cylinder head would be needed.

Stop leak products for head gasket leaks are a joke and only plug up hydraulic lifters.

Sounds like a dumb *** mechanic. Get a second opinion.

Any mechanic I know would have recommended putting a used motor in the vehicle if the motor really was junk.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 6 months ago

Replacing the head gasket is a major repair and expense in itself. But until you tear things down and get in and see the problem, you don't know if any additional damage was done to the motor or its components. Quite often, just replacing the head gasket doesn't fix the problem.

The mechanic likely suspects that the motor needs a rebuild - or a complete replacement - and when they see a car they know is worth less, fully repaired, than the cost of the repair, they'll take the short way out and tell you that it can't be fixed. Anything can be fixed or replaced. How much are you willing to spend?

Do you want to sink another $3,000 or more into this car to truly fix it? Are you willing to take the risk of spending $1,000+ to replace the head gasket only to find out you wasted that money? Or will you cut your losses, get what you can for what you have, and buy another car?

• 6 months ago

EVERYTHING is fixable if you are willing to spend the money to do it. Sometimes they can grind down the head, replace the head gasket and you are good to go. If he says he can not do that then you can replace the entire engine with a new one or a used one from a wrecking yard. What you need to do is look up what the value of your car is. Lets say it is $3000. Now look at how much it will cost to fix it, say $1000 for a new engine to be installed. If the car has been reliable then you might want to do it. If the car has been a pain and not reliable then you may want to use the $1000 and trade in the car and get a better one.

• 6 months ago

You can try some Stop Leak product that might work for a while. (days to weeks) You have to take the engine out and tear it down to replace the head gasket. That's why it's so expensive to repair.

Whether or not it's worth fixing depends on how much the car is worth when it's running, not, unfortunately, how much you have into it.

If you pay $1, 500 to fix it and then you still have an old, beat car worth a couple of thousand, you are just pouring money into gaping maw of used car hell.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

He probably means that it's not worth it to fix.

Head gaskets are often very expensive to replace and usually exceed the value of the car by the time they blow.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

Find a good shade tree. I fixed a head for the cost of a another from junkyard plus checkout. About $330.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.