What tool do you value as most important in AR disassembly?

Have witnessed some people really banging up stuff working on rifles especially when taking them apart. What tool do you name the best helper to prevent damage?

Update:

If you have more than 1 favorite please name them and put them in order.

Update 2:

punches have been named and there is one punch in particular that comes to mind. hint-it is used to drive out spring pin in mag release.

Update 3:

Excuse me, I really meant to say bolt catch instead of magazine release.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

I am a bit old school, so AR to me is like M-16. No tools required for field stripping or assembly.

Anything beyond that requires a particular complete set of tools, one, no less important than another.

A total dismantle and the tool you don't have and need becomes the most important.

A detailed guide to complete disassembly and reassembly you will find priceless.

>>>Like every 'tool box' you can add with tools that aid convenience and a lot to choose from.

Nothing to dread with the 'right' tools for the job. Biggest fail I see is not following the right sequence in a sub assembly. All gas operated guns have certain complexity and when all else fails, follow the directions.

You may not notice a boo boo until a test fire and the gun wont cycle, back to formula you go.

• BRANDO5 months agoReport

You only have 1 TU at this point in time and that came from me but one good phrase sticks and that is-" tool you don't have and need becomes the most important." I like that and became the decision maker. Thanks.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

you can strip it down with just a live cartrigde and use the bullet

• 5 months ago

There is a book you should buy, "The Complete AR-15 Assembly Guide" that lists all the tools, how to use them, and most important - the pitfalls on what to avoid.

If you want a list of tool - go to amazon.com or your local Barnes and Nobel store - grab that book.

Keep in mind...…. I can put someone in front of a broken something, or, a bunch of parts with all the tools in the world..... Unless they have the experience, skill, training, and knowledge of how to use those tools I does nobody any good.

• BRANDO5 months agoReport

Anyway, thanks for answering and a thumbs up for that. You have said in the past you do not return to your answers but that is ok maybe someone will benefit that reads all answers and comments. AND needs a book to read.

• 5 months ago

A good vise block (particularly when removing a barrel). At the moment, I am partial to the magpul BEV Block. https://www.magpul.com/products/bev-block-ar15-m4

• BBean
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Gary,sorry about the"story"I told you about me and my ex fighting like battlebots...her in an Escalade...me on a Zero turn exMark lawn mower.Not 100% true. I have a ZT mower but it`s not a Navigator nor is her Cadillac an Esld....it`s a std shift 1950 Eldorado instead!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BBean
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I consider all tools as important but putting aside the punches and also short end of a small allen wrench that will make-shift to drive out that roll pin that holds the bolt catch....I value the receiver wrench that engages into the locking lugs of the barrel extension to remove the barrel nut that some assemblers believe they needed 150 ft lbs of torque to hold the barrel on. Blessed are the anti-seize believers that stop at 40 ft lbs. The polymer holding blocks are cool for atmosphere-like approach to look like a well equipped shop but rendered useless and will never be used in my shop again.

1. punches and brass hammer

2. receiver wrench

3. AR multi-tool and/or specialized individual tools for castle and barrel nuts of all configurations including ones provided for the hundreds of free floating handguard designs.

• 5 months ago

A set of quality punches

• BBean
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Also agree. I have bent every one of those chinese Harbor F. punches from 3/32 and smaller. Good ol` USA punches do not cost...they pay!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.