If a diabetic eats a whole slice of cake, can it kill them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No. It will just boost their sugar count.

• 7 months ago

I am a pharmacy student. Eating a "whole slice of cake" most likely won't kill someone with diabetes. Doing so will probably raise that person's blood sugar, and could raise it to a dangerous level if they eat a lot of cake. Having high sugars in the long run can lead to serious health concerns. Consistently high sugars can lead to blindness, neuropathy (nerve pain), and even amputation. Low blood sugars can also lead to complications like fainting, confusion, and in extreme cases death. A healthy blood sugar is 80-130 fasting or without eating for a while, and 130-180 after a meal if you are an adult. Be sure to talk to your doctor about your goals, as they can change from person to person.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

No, a regular size piece of cake will not kill a type 1 diabetic even if they do not take enough insulin. I have Little Debbie and Hostess snack cakes and pecan cinnamon pinwheels and orange juice for breakfast all the time. My kidneys are not failing and I am NOT insulin resistant. I can be very insulin sensitive.

I've been a type 1 diabetic for 64 YEARS and counting since I was 2 years old. I have no clear memories of NOT being a type 1 diabetic.

One thing Ive learned is that EACH diabetic is unique, no matter what type of diabetes they have. I've also learned some doctors and some PAs can be idiots when they put you on oral medications and insulin and consistently overdose you with too much insulin and then leave short acting insulin off the nursing home orders. The nurses and CNAs. I had viral pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome 9 years ago.

Excuse me. It's lunch time.

• 7 months ago

Only if you choke on it ... or it has arsenic in it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

No it can't kill you

• 8 months ago

depends on the cake, how well they are controlling their insulin levels.

It may do but I think most diabetics if they are eating cake would adjust their insulin to accommodate it.

• 8 months ago

As type 2 diabetic I have on occasions ate the whole cake and I am still alive

• Cammie
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

NO.We can eat what we want if we count our carbs.

That is the modern way we treat diabetes now.

• Eugene Lynch7 months agoReport

Diabetics can use a glucose meter.

• Shay
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Short term - no. Sugar levels will go high, but their medication should bring it back down. Also, a type 1 diabetic can adjust their medication for this easier than a type 2 diabetic. So for a type 1, the spike in sugar might recover faster than it would for a type 2 diabetic.

If a diabetic makes cake a regular part of their diet and have it often, then those high sugar spikes caused by eating cake so often will cause damage over time. That damage could cause health issues that could shorten their life. (I have a brother-in-law that is a type 1 diabetic and loves little Debbie snack cakes. He ate them daily and often in large quantities. He wouldn't always take the right amount of insulin to get his sugar back in control. He is now 55 years old and in the final stages of kidney failure. His medicine cabinet looks like a pharmacy due to all his health issues. He very likely won't make it to be 60.)

EDIT: A diabetic can have cake sometimes. One good plan for a day when a diabetic wants to have cake would be to avoid other grains, like bread and pasta on that day. Make sure the rest of the food is very low carbs and it will help a little with avoiding too high of a spike from the cake. (so, eating a salad and then having cake is much better than eating pasta and then having cake.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.