What does it sound like could be wrong with my computer?

Today when I turned on my computer and went to open google chrome it was just a white screen and said not responding and the only way I could close it was to end the process in task manager. About a few hours later I got it to work for a few minutes but it was still slow and lagging. I am currently on firefox which... show more Today when I turned on my computer and went to open google chrome it was just a white screen and said not responding and the only way I could close it was to end the process in task manager. About a few hours later I got it to work for a few minutes but it was still slow and lagging. I am currently on firefox which seems to be working okay right now except for when I started my computer for about a half hour it would not load webpages but as soon as I ended all processes in chrome it resumed.

I tried reinstalling chrome and it did not help. What could be causing this? It was fine before I shut down my computer last night.