Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 6 months ago

My self harm scar won t heel...Why?

So I ve cut myself a few months ago maybe four or five months ago to be exact....and we ll I ve been trying to cover it up with petroleum jelly vaseline and I don t know if that helps it turn back to normal or what....but will my skin turn back to normal or will it stay there forever? :"( I ve cut before but they usually disappear because it wasn t that deep enough.Did I do it cut too deep where the skin tissue won t turn back anymore? What do I need to use to help heal it 😭pls help me :(

If there is any misspelled or weird words that make no sense it s my terrible keyboard :( I need to get a new one soon 😅

Favorite Answer

I use a cream called e-45 but honestly I have had self injury scars for YEARS and one day they just go... so you can't really say for certian if it's there forever.

If its a red mark, use creams and lotions, also remember fluid counts, drink more water it will help your skin and in turn the scar.

If it's a white/silver mark. Unfortunately they can remain for longer, and this is usually the last healing stage. They can fade with time and care.

If it is a indentation, for lack of better word. I have a few of these from more severe scars, then yes unfortunately they may not heal further. If the skin has returned to its normal colour but you have a indention where you cut it may have finished healing. I have too many to count, like this on my wrist which were from 2014. I did get a tattoo which covered a few of them, which is an option.

Lastly, I have had many people in my life since and nobody has referenced the scars or noticed them. I always pull my hand away and panic someone will see them but nobody ever notices it's me who is aware of them.

Give it time 5 months isn't five years... I think up to a year is still good time for it to be healing.

Hope this helps.

Lastly, I'm 25 and I still struggle with self injury. It isn't something that goes away and the urges will always be there. I hope you're okay, and I hope that you are able to fight future urges and find alternative outlets.

Try your stomach instead

Because it is damage from an injury. Quit doing it.

Scars dont heal cuz they are already healed......... just an fyi

They have pads and creams at the drug store to help reduce scars

I used them on a very large a thick surgical scar. They reduced it a lot it is still visible but mine was much more intense then a self harm scar so I'd give them a try. Just ask the pharmacist where they are they should be able to help you

• Tavy

They NEVER go away. I have operation scars from 40 years ago. Vaseline won't help, nothing will. It is there for life.

It will diminish over time but may never be gone completely, or maybe it will eventually go away. Petroleum jelly won't help, just live with it. Think up a good excuse if anyone ever asks - they may not believe it but stick to it and to hell with them.

you shouldn't have done it

Honestly have no idea.... But from what i have heard self harm marks dont go away