Yahoo asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

How can I stop my dog from moving his food somewhere else?

My 10 pound Pomeranian constantly takes one pellet at a time from his toy breed sized dog food away form his bowl to eat it somewhere else. It's pretty annoying to keep having to clean up dog food spread around the carpet or to hear him constantly bite into his food. He generally brings it somewhere where he will be in the way such as the middle of a walkway.

There are no other dogs / cats in the home and he has been doing this since forever. No matter where I place his food bowl he still continues to do this. Is there any way I can have him eat in the same area as his food bowl?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Normal behavior for a lot of dogs. Usually caused by not being able to eat with the rest of the litter. I do not know of a way to stop it. It is normal behavior for your dog & thousands or more dogs. This can be considered one of the things you have to just accept.

• Login to reply the answers
  • J C
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You meal feed the dog. Divide his daily ration into two meals. In other words, if he is supposed to get 1 cup of food, that is two 1/2 cup meals. Put the first meal down in the kitchen. Allow him 15 minutes to eat. Whatever is left is taken up and nothing until the next meal, not even a treat. If he begins taking it out 1 piece at a time before the 15 minutes is up, take it away then. Next meal time repeat. In a few days he will be eating his food at each meal and not carting it off. A dog will not starve themselves, and you just need to be persistent. Do not give in, and do not give treats. A hungry dog is going to eat.

• Angie
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

This is instinctual behavior derived from the "pack" mentality. The answer is quite simple: They want to eat their meals in peace with no conflict or interruptions. In the wild, packs commonly fight over food sources & it is common to see wild dogs tear off a piece of food & walk away to another location to consume it. Even if there is no real conflict or interruption present when your dog is eating, he still has this instinct. When he eats, make sure he has his very own space that no other pet is allowed to violate during meal times. All dogs should have their own eating spaces & should be taught to respect any other pet's eating spaces. This helps prevent conflict, as well as teaches healthy boundaries. When he takes his food elsewhere, try not to make a huge deal of it. Just quietly move the food back to his dish. Making a big deal of it might only make him insecure and reinforce the desire to eat in solitude even more.

• 7 months ago

I would feed the dog in a pen or crate. Or as TK suggested stand nearby but after adding some warm water and a bit of canned to the bowl - if he STILL picked kibble out and walked away, the BOWL - would "disappear".

I would suddenly decide, he didn't really LIKE his food & was showing a LACK of interest..... so the bowl & the rest of the meal would not be available - to a dog who leaves it & walks OFF to "picnic" elsewhere. I would also leave the kitchen area, where I had (originally) presented the food.

I will lay ODDS, that a hungry dog (in a meal or two) of this - will suddenly DECIDE to eat (or SCARF it) down - where the bowl stands. Needless to say => NO TREATS between meals!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TK
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Measure out how much food he needs in a day, then split that amount into two meals. At each regular mealtime, call him over and set down the dish of food. Stay nearby so he doesn't need to come find you as he eats. In 15 minutes, pick up the dish. Repeat the process at his next mealtime. He will learn to consume his food faster or go without. Also, add a little moisture to dry kibble, either warm water or a spoonful of canned.

• 7 months ago

Get a baby gate and gate off the kitchen while he eats so he can't carry the food elsewhere. If the entrance of the kitchen is too wide then stick him a bathroom while he eats.

• 7 months ago

Put him in a crate or pen to eat.

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

some dogs do this. I have had 2 shih tzu's at different times and both of them have done this.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.