Does the college you choose to go to matter if it's the same degree?

I am a rising high school senior who plans to go to college. I'm torn between 2 places: 1 is a somewhat far away state school while the other is a university 40 minutes away. The closer one is not quite as good a school, while the other is a little better, but much farther away. My close friend wants me to join... show more I am a rising high school senior who plans to go to college. I'm torn between 2 places: 1 is a somewhat far away state school while the other is a university 40 minutes away. The closer one is not quite as good a school, while the other is a little better, but much farther away. My close friend wants me to join him at the closer college, but I know that my chosen department is better at the state school. If it's the same degree at both places, from a career standpoint, does the college itself really matter?