Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Does the college you choose to go to matter if it's the same degree?

I am a rising high school senior who plans to go to college. I'm torn between 2 places: 1 is a somewhat far away state school while the other is a university 40 minutes away. The closer one is not quite as good a school, while the other is a little better, but much farther away. My close friend wants me to join him at the closer college, but I know that my chosen department is better at the state school. If it's the same degree at both places, from a career standpoint, does the college itself really matter?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It could matter. If the department is known to be better, it can obviously afford its students more resources. This would presumably translate into your getting more knowledge.

Does is make a whole lot of difference? In some cases, yes; in most cases, not so much.

Yes, it matters. So you should choose the one that has the best program in your major.

• Ben

I'd go to the one further away. Yes, it could matter if the program is better, you will learn more about the subject matter and gain a deeper appreciation and connection to the field and the world generally.

• J-Dawn

Yes the college does indeed. You want the best education so that you're prepared to use that degree.

Yes, the university's reputation in the field matters, especially when you first graduate & have no experience. Furthermore, employers recruit at universities which have better reputations, so the placement offices at the best schools tend to get a lot more employers recruiting, listing entry-level openings, etc.

Of course, your grades, letters of recommendation, achievements, etc, matter a very great deal. But good grades at a lower-rated school don't do anywhere near as much for you as those same good grades at a better school.

Yes, of course! Not in all scenarios, but like another person said: If 2 ppl are applying for the same position, and one went to an Ivy, and one went to a state school, who is the management most likely to hire? Probably the Ivy alumni since they were hardworking and intelligent enough to get in an Ivy and graduate

Of course it matters. If two candidates applied for a job. Candidate A went to Harvard and has a 3.3 GPA while B went to UCLA and has a 3.5 gpa. Which are you more likely to hire. The Harvard grad because it’s much more competitive.

• .

My 22-year-old son was facing the same dilemma as you were back in 2015. He planned to major in computer science and he had to choose between a small university that was 40 minutes away or a much larger state school that was 6.5 hours away. He chose the larger university and was happier with his choice because they have about 18 CS faculty members compared to about four at the smaller school.

• Lita

It can, in as much as some places are known for having better programs in a particular field of study than others. Never go to a college simply because your friends, boyfriend/girlfriend/sibling etc.. will be there too.