Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 6 months ago

Got charged a hospital bill when they said no cost with insurance, what do I do?

So I went to the hospital to get a pill. But I called on the phone before and asked how much it would cost, if they take my insurance, etc and they said it won’t cost anything with insurance. So I went to get it and asked another lady again while she took my insurance card, and she said no cost. I get a hospital bill for $677. Can I just call billing and explain to them the situation to void my hospital bill?

• Flower

Call your insurance company first and ask them if they will cover their share. It is not possible that the hospital would say you dont have to pay anything. Everyone with or without insurance has to pay something. They dont know how much your insurance will cover until they bill them. $677 is not much for you to pay.

You never ask "if you take my insurance." "Yes, sir. We take ALL insurances. It s just a matter of whether they pay anything or not."

You ask, "Do you participate in network with my insurance?" And, you confirm on the insurance company s website or their customer service line. If you don t, then you end up with a $677 hosptial bill. Plus, who goes to a hospital for a pill? You need to learn where to go for services. Hospitals are THE most expensive place to go.

You owe the money. Period.

I cannot imagine why you went to the hospital to get a pill...when any clinic or doctor would have likely prescribed it in their office for a fraction of the price.

That is the charge for being seen at the hospital. Why didn't you go to a Dr. instead? It would have cost a lot less than running to the hospital.

What exactly did you ask? Did you ask the price of the med or did you ask for the price of the entire visit? Hospitals bill by service. The med is one service, the visit is a second service, possibly seeing a doctor to get the prescription is a third service. Your bill or your Explanation of Benefits should explain the charge, what is covered, and what your portion of the charge is. Plus you have to consider the co=pay and your deductible.

No. Because you used the phone, they did not have to tell you the truth. But in this case, they did tell the truth. There is no charge for the pill. The $677 is the charge for using the hospital..

You have to pay the bill. They will not void it, especially not if you continue to call them.

• Judy

No sorry, it doesn't work that way. Maybe with your insurance there is no copay, but you have not met your deductible for the year so you have to pay that before the insurance will pay anything. Call your insurance company and they;ll explain it to you. But if your insurance doesn't cover the bill, you're stuck with it.

Pay the bill. It's not their responsibiltiy to tell you how much your insurance would pay - you have to call the insurance for that.

So . . call the insurance. Unless it's Medicaid, it's extremely unlikely that there would be no deductible and no copay.