Anonymous

Does a person in a wheelchair applying for a Section 8 rent subsidy today have to wait 10 years or more years?

I've heard that lately that the lines are crazy. It used to be 2 years, not its 10. I've also heard its onlyt $400/m no matter what your rent is instead of 3/4 of the rent Is this true?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Often yes. A person using a wheelchair full-time and needs an accessible unit has far fewer choices than people with other disabilities or able bodied seniors. If you are safety conscious and want to be on a first floor - even harder. Section 8 is always 30%.

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A person in a wheelchair is probably applying for disabled housing as not all section 8 housing is going to be wheelchair accessible. If there are a lot of people on the waiting list for disabled housing, then the person may have to wait years. How much rent the disabled person is charged depends on how much rent the landlord is charging and how much section 8 is willing to pay, not a specific amount or percentage. There is a process that happens to determine the amount of rent that the person pays.

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

you are IGNORANT about section 8..it is ALWAYS 30% of the tenants income....the max rent varies by area.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The fact that you are in a wheelchair is immaterial. You aren't the only person who would otherwise be eligible for Section 8 and you wait just like everyone else. How many years you wait depends upon the city and how many Section 8 units are available and how many people are on the list. Where I live they stopped taking applications for 3 years until a new building was erected. Then they took applications and now they aren't taking new applications.

Perhaps instead of Section 8 housing you need housing for the disabled which may or may not be under Section 8 - and probably isn't.

As for how much rent you pay - you heard wrong if you are talking about subsidized housing. You are required to pay 30% of your income toward your rent. If rent is no more than $400 then it is a different program or the person has income totaling $1200 a month then $400 would be equal to one-third.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.