Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

Embarrassed of daughter?

My daughter is 38 yrs old. She's very reserved and "shy" as she claims and it gets on my nerves. Whenever we're out and people come to greet her, she appears distant and isn't as outgoing as my other children.

I think it's rude to be quiet and reserved especially when surrounded by people. I don't want her to join our outings anymore because she's embarrassing us. I want her to change and be more inviting and outgoing. She cried when I expressed my feelings to her. Do you think I'm wrong for feeling this way? Is it wrong to want her to change her approach?

38 years too late for an abortion

If she embarrasses you that much that it's ruining your outings, perhaps it is time she go on her own outings. I'm assuming she's not mentally or physically handicapped or suffering from depression. If she's a perfectly capable 38 year old woman, maybe it's time she stop accompanying her mother on social outings, especially since it would seem as though meeting people and socializing isn't in her wheelhouse.

• John P

It is rude for you to think of your daughter as embarrassing YOU. Think of her as a person who has a certain way of being. All across the country you live in there are people of many different styles of being.

• edward

I feel like i read this before.

If my son was shy i would wonder where he got that from, he goes with anyone and doesn’t cry about it (worrisome really), and he is very social with them, just about a year old now. If he wasn’t i’d wonder where he got that from since both me and my wife are social

The only way this would be reasonable is if you were perfect yourself. And we both know that isn't true. So when you can admit your own imperfection you know you must choose to accept others and their imperfections the same way they accept you and all of your flaws too.

I suspect that this is a troll question. No adult who is pushing 40 years old is going to ask his/her parent for advice on how to behave. Even developmentally disabled adults don't ask for that kind of advice, not any more- if they ever did. And any adult of that age who cries as easily as this woman does has deeper problems than just being shy or reserved. No, there's something fishy about this question.

You were being abusive.

I'm an outgoing not shy at all person and my 19 year old is so shy that he won't even come to any outings at ALL he refuses.It's very frustrating but there's nothing that will convince him to go. My younger son likes to come and is friendly but he has autism so doesn't know the right things to say.

We're supposed to love our children not say abusive things to them.

Frankly you are very lucky to be able to go on social outings with a 38 year old, daughter. By the time I was 38 my mother was dead.

I would speak to the people who very obviously raised her to grow up to be a flawed human being.

Oh, wait, isn't that you?

• Lita

You're wrong for expecting her to change to suit you. Accept her for who she is instead of who you are trying to make her be.

• Rick

She's an introvert and can't change how she is. Trust me on this because I'm also an introvert. My 3 sisters are all extroverts but I'm not.

Just because she's quiet and feeling awkward and uncomfortable in social situations, it doesn't say anything about you. It doesn't mean you're a bad mother or that she's a failure.

YES, you are wrong in feeling that way, and it's wrong to want her to change her personality.