How formal does volunteer work need to be?

I need patient care volunteer hours and I do spend time with an elder on the weekends. It's not at any facility or organization but I take them to appointments, remind them to take their medications, help with any chores around their house, assist with feeding and we play games and chat. I have volunteered at a nursing home in the past and it is pretty much exactly the same duties but I just go to their home instead. Would this be considered as volunteer work since I am not getting paid and doing it out of my own interest? Or is there some certain definition of volunteering like it needs to be at an organization/non-profit? I would have their daughter as a reference if needed.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • poldi2
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The challenge would be providing proof of the work. At a nursing home they have a record of the time you were there.

You could get the elder or her daughter to note the time you are there on a timecard or some other document.

• 6 months ago

What purpose do you need it to serve? If it's for your senior project or similar, it should be fine. If it's court ordered, probably won't count, it has to be through a court-approved organization.

• 6 months ago

Yes, that's volunteer work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.