How formal does volunteer work need to be?

I need patient care volunteer hours and I do spend time with an elder on the weekends. It's not at any facility or organization but I take them to appointments, remind them to take their medications, help with any chores around their house, assist with feeding and we play games and chat. I have volunteered at a... show more I need patient care volunteer hours and I do spend time with an elder on the weekends. It's not at any facility or organization but I take them to appointments, remind them to take their medications, help with any chores around their house, assist with feeding and we play games and chat. I have volunteered at a nursing home in the past and it is pretty much exactly the same duties but I just go to their home instead. Would this be considered as volunteer work since I am not getting paid and doing it out of my own interest? Or is there some certain definition of volunteering like it needs to be at an organization/non-profit? I would have their daughter as a reference if needed.
3 answers 3