How do I CYA for a mistake such as punching out at the wrong time?

My employer has coaching sessions bi-weekly and we are ask to write down how we can improve on our performance / mistakes. At this point it is just coaching, but I am worried that if the mistakes are repeated, it could escalate to a performance plan. The easy answer is don't make a mistake. But we're... show more My employer has coaching sessions bi-weekly and we are ask to write down how we can improve on our performance / mistakes. At this point it is just coaching, but I am worried that if the mistakes are repeated, it could escalate to a performance plan.

The easy answer is don't make a mistake. But we're human, and given 5 million tasks, a mistake is inevitable and therefore the same mistake or a version of it is bound to be repeated no matter how organized or perfect your intentions.

Should I just say in these meetings: I own the mistake or should I respond that I was not aware in an effort to CYA?

I was fired for my honesty at one job and the person that hired me told me that there is a way to tell the truth and a way to lie as he walked me out the final time. I don't want this to happen again. What can I do?
1 answer 1