Can I sell "cash only" at a yard sale? Or is everyone doing Venmo and PayPal and whatever?

For expensive stuff ($100+), I'd take those over a check, but I feel like it's a massive time suck to have to go to my phone and make sure it all went through vs working cash out of a pouch. If I need to go digital - are those the two I should be prepared to use or are there other better ones?

Good point Karen! I actually thought about that after seeing the answers pour in. I'm in Los Angeles and I'm used to seeing "kids" use the digital exchange of money quite often. Though I haven't been to a yard sale in a decade at least! Hence my question ;)

POST SALE UPDATE: I didn't have crowds, so I could handle anything. It was mostly cash, but I did 4 sales by Venmo - neighbors walking by and checking it out - not being prepared to buy. I actually took 2 checks too! People I see walking their dogs every day - not worried I won't be able to find them if there is an issue!

Favorite Answer

I go to yard sales all the time and NO ONE ever accepts anything but cash. EVER.

you can use whatever payment you want at a yard sale

yes you can sell cash only that is the 99% do

I'd never accept anything but cash. Mind you, maybe things are different where you live. If you told us where that is, someone might know if digital is what people do there.

Cash is still king. Never accept anything but cash at a yard sale.

I only use cash at yard sales or any private sale.

• Brian

No, you can do cash only.