Sara asked in HealthOther - Health · 6 months ago

how should a teenager quit smoking marijuana?

i have smoked almost every day for the last year, starting to get sick of my lungs and body not functioning at its best, cant even run a mile anymore. also want to fix my mental health and better myself all around but in order to do that i feel like i NEED to stop smoking. need some help from people who don’t judge

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Strategies That Work

Set a quit date. Pick a day that you'll stop smoking. Put it on your calendar and tell friends and family (if they know) that you'll quit on that day. Think of the day as a dividing line between the smoking you and the new, improved nonsmoker you'll become.

Throw away your cigarettes — all of your cigarettes. People can't stop smoking with cigarettes around to tempt them. So get rid of everything, including ashtrays, lighters, and, yes, even that pack you stashed away for emergencies.

Wash all your clothes. Get rid of the smell of cigarettes as much as you can by washing all your clothes and having your coats or sweaters dry-cleaned. If you smoked in your car, clean that out, too.

Think about your triggers. You're probably aware of the times when you tend to smoke, such as after meals, when you're at your best friend's house, while drinking coffee, or as you're driving. Any situation where it feels automatic to have a cigarette is a trigger. Once you've figured out your triggers, try these tips:

Break the link. If you smoke when you drive, get a ride to school, walk, or take the bus for a few weeks so you can break the connection. If you normally smoke after meals, do something else after you eat, like go for a walk or talk to a friend.

Change the place. If you and your friends usually eat takeout in the car so you can smoke, sit in the restaurant instead.

Substitute something else for cigarettes. It can be hard to get used to not holding something or not having a cigarette in your mouth. If you have this problem, stock up on carrot sticks, sugar-free gum, mints, toothpicks, or lollipops.

Handling Withdrawal

Expect some physical symptoms. If your body is addicted to nicotine, you may go through withdrawal when you quit. Physical feelings of withdrawal can include:

headaches or stomachaches

crabbiness, jumpiness, or depression

lack of energy

dry mouth or sore throat

a desire to eat

The symptoms of nicotine withdrawal will pass — so be patient. Try not to give in and sneak a smoke because you'll just have to deal with the withdrawal longer.

Keep yourself busy. Many people find it's best to quit on a Monday, when they have school or work to keep them busy. The more distracted you are, the less likely you'll be to crave cigarettes. Staying active is also a good distraction, plus it helps you keep your weight down and your energy up.

Quit gradually. Some people find that gradually decreasing the number of cigarettes they smoke each day is an effective way to quit. But this strategy doesn't work for everyone. You may find it's better for you to go "cold turkey" and stop smoking all at once.

Good to read on :- https://www.meds4care.com/blog/how-smoking-effects...

• 6 months ago

https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org/

Have a look at the detoxing info.

You've only been smoking for a year so shouldn't be to bad. If you carry on it will be harder to stop further down the line.

• 6 months ago

You just quit, dude. Jeez, it's NATURAL, right? So what's the problem??

• k w
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

when I quit smoking, many years ago , I thought it would be best to change up when I smoked, so whenever I got the desire to smoke, I just waited 20 min each time, til I finally gave it up.....

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

First and foremost, stop hanging out with people who smoke. Everyone is influenced by their peers so if you are hanging out with smokers it will be very hard to NOT smoke.

Try to identify the “triggers”’ that make you smoke. If a certain place, person, activity, or event makes you want to smoke, avoid that trigger.

Substitute some other behavior when you get the urge to smoke. This could be a simple as going for a walk, petting the dog, any activity that you can use, that is readily available, that you can go to each time you feel the urge to smoke. Hopefully it is something that will be engaging enough that once you’ve started doing it, it will absorb your attention, or at least deflect it from the urge to smoke.

Remind yourself WHY you don’t want to smoke. Think about how different you feel, how different your motivation is, whatever it is that is what you want from NOT smoking.

Remove all paraphanalia, pot, pot related items including pictures or marketing of pot that will remind you of pot. If you don’t get rid of it, at least put it out of sight.

Remove any pot you have from easy access. If you don’t want to throw it or give it away, pack it up tight in several layers of packaging (the point being to make it a pain to get to it) and hide it in the top back of an inconvenient closet or other remote place. Basic human laziness makes this an asset in quitting because it makes it more work to get to. Coupled with willpower, this can be surprisingly effective.

Try to get through one day at a time. Rather than saying “I won’t smoke again, ever - Say I won’t smoke TODAY.” Then do that over and over. It can actually be helpful if you REALLY want to smoke to tell yourself that if you still feel that way tomorrow, you can smoke. This can get you through a rough patch.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Fortunately, pot isn't physically addictive so when you quit, you aren't going to get sick like an alcoholic or a heroin addict. Use up, give away or throw away your stash and quit hanging out with smokers. Good luck.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

marijuana is not addictive! Just make a decision to stop, have a good reason why you want to stop and always remember it when you feel like getting high. Then stay away from people that smoke

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.