Best way to buy a car for my situation?

car got totaled got paid out for it but it was a hand me down car from my parents that i helped pay for under the table since i drove it the most. i got NO credit, minimum waged job/low paying job so income is low in general. the car i want is about $40k msrp ( dream car ) but i know that is unrealistic in my... show more car got totaled got paid out for it but it was a hand me down car from my parents that i helped pay for under the table since i drove it the most.

i got NO credit, minimum waged job/low paying job so income is low in general. the car i want is about $40k msrp ( dream car ) but i know that is unrealistic in my circumstance.

right now im saving up cash to just buy out a cheaper car around say $16-18k. is this my BEST option? i was planning to save up cash, drop it all on as downpayment by then i should have decent credit and then get a loan for say the remaining which will likely be around $20-30k. is this possible or would i not get approved to begin with if im aiming for that $40k car?

also at this rate would i be better off buying a new car or used one with the income and situation i am in? im looking at used cars they go for almost around $16-18k with lower mileage but then i look at the same cars brand new they are basically slightly towards the $18-19k off the lot.

im basically just trying to get a car ASAP in the end idgaf what kind of car it is as long as it won't break down or cause major issues shortly after thus why i want something on the newer end but open to used cars as well
Update: thanks for all the answers, guess it's better for me to buy used and think on the cheaper side