Why do people talk big about college and university so much and give trade schools a bad rep?

I'm going to trade school right now, have multiple certificates in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical, soon to be going to a photovoltaics classes. Trade school is amazing, and trade school is extremely cheap! I already have a job that I am certified for and they are ready to hire me for 20 an hour STARTING and only going up. For some reason when I tell people I go to a trade school they seem confused, wondering why I didn't go to a university? So If trade school is so much faster, cheaper, and (imo) better than a university why does it get such a bad rep? (Btw my job is starting as an apprentice electrician)

Id sooner have a tradesman as a husband than a college man, at least he would be useful around the house as well as having a career outside

You shouldn't care about what others think of you. Just ignore them and do your own thing. Wise and educated people wouldn't make fun of you for going to a trade school. Everyone's different when it comes to career choosing. College/university isn't right for everyone, although still lots of students apply there. I'm glad that you found your way of studying and pursuing happiness.

There isn't an electrician, plumber, or carpenter that I know of that would charge me less than $75 an hour, and the first hour is fully charged no matter how long the visit might be. Of course these are Master level if they are union.

Anyway, like the other answers. No one I know of gives the trade schools a bad reputation. Most stress the universities simply because that's where their kids will be going. These are kids of professional parents who themselves went to college. That's the reason colleges, not trade schools, are discussed in those families.

Never heard of anyone knocking trade school. I take it you are surrounded by idiots.

Surprisingly, this seems to be more the case in the US than here in the UK and Europe, where the trades are considered a normal career route for those who aren't interested in or academically able to go to university. There seems to be more emphasis on going to university in the US. I've spoken to American women who claimed they won't consider dating men who haven't got a university degree. It's a bizarre form of snobbery and classism.

• John

There is nothing at all wrong with a career in the trades. I think you may instead feel the need to defend your choice, and you do not have to.

• Stoo

It's a better option for most people. University was never meant to be job training or to be an extension of high school. Making trade and vocational schools cheap or even free is a good investment. Vote accordingly, because conservatives would rather transfer costs of that to you or worse, privatize it all so their buddies profit off your education.

I guess there may be some people who give trade school a bum rap, but most people value any education whether it's university, trade or working your way up in a job.

If you have certificates in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical you should be earning more than $20 an hour.

Working trades is hard on your body. Make sure you have both long term disability and short term disability.

People are stuck up. Nothing wrong with trade school

Source(s): Unliking my answer for stating facts 😂😂😂😂😂

You will do well. You are where the money is right now.

• Big Mouth

Sorry you didn't get a fulltime job and had to settle for 3 part-time jobs at McDonald's, Walmart and Dunkin Donuts and a side gig at CeCe's Stripper Emporium. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!! Look at Thatcher Long Pockets over there rolling in the dough at your expense!