Will China clamp down on Hong Kong?

Like at Tianeman Square. The west was all excited about all those protests, but then there was a huge clampdown

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

HongKong's democracy is supposed to be protected under the signing of the declaration for the return of the former colony to China, for fifty years, so there is another 27 or 28 years to go. After the fifty years, the HongKong bill of rights will become obsolete.

• 6 months ago

NO: because the damage that would be done to chinas economy would be far reaching and very long lasting due to many countries stopping trading with china

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Your guess is as good as Sir Prince Kenny's.

• Sir Prince Kenny
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not a guess, it's the law, signed, sealed and delivered to China by the U.K. Look up the terms of the handover. HongKong's political system would not be changed for fifty years after the Handover, with China being responsible for the defence and foreign affairs of the former colony.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It was foolish to cause such disharmony in such a valuable territory for such a trivial reason. Hong Kong is a jewel in China's assets, most people go about their business making money for the republic, why would they want to mess with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

I doubt it, things have moved on in 30 years. China cares more about how it appears on the world stage these days.

• 6 months ago

Not too much, I guess; China has too much interest in Western trade to do that openly.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It wouldn't surprise me if they sent troops to Hong Kong. It would be a foolish move as they could lose a lot of trade.

• Sir Prince Kenny
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

There are already troops in HongKong, they were sent in on the day of the handover.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

you mean like lo mein?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.