Car mechanic has been fixing my car for over two months?

One of the repairs was the timing belt which he suggested be changed. It's a Lexus IS300. Once he finished the engine started to misfire. First he said there was a bad tensioner that came with the timing belt kit. Once he got a new tensioner and replaced the bad one he said that the valves weren't seating right and replaced four of them and now is telling me the seat broke on the first valve/cylinder. Every time we talk he says he should have it all done by tomorrow...

• Erik

A few years ago my mechanic of three years had my car for 2 1/2 weeks to replace the engine (85 Corolla, 1.6L). He lost me as a customer.

• M.

Two months labor?

Will you be able to afford it?

He sounds a bit incompetent.

He sounds a bit like a con man.

Have you ever visited his shop and looked at the car? It might just be sitting, unrepaired.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• Dan

He destroyed your engine and has been lying to you all along. Find a good used engine at a scrap yard and have another shop (a real one this time) install it. When you get the final bill sue the first shop for the repair costs.

If he has been trying I guess it is legit--to the best of his abilities. If he were letting it sit for 2 months, that would be a complaint. Who is paying for all this work? Is it under warranty? You would be justified in seeking a second opinion, but that would mean towing?

• Joel6 months agoReport

No warranty. At this point he said we're "square", and I don't owe him any money and that he is going to fix it. He is shady but I think it's because of how busy he is. I've avoided getting confrontational because I don't want to throw away the chance that he may fix it but time keeps passing by

• bo

time to bring it to someone else. this "mechanic" doesn't have a clue

• bo

but apparently he still doesn't have a clue. just how long are you willing to wait. after all is this what you're asking us for

You either have a bad car or a poor mechanic.

• Scott

That's interesting. Do you have a question?

• Pete L

Care to ask a question?